Atascadero Police Department
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Atascadero Police Department|
|Motto||"Dedicated to Professional Service"|
|Operations jurisdiction||Atascadero, California, United States|
|Atascadero, CA area|
|Size||30 sq mi (78 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||City of Atascadero, California|
|Governing body||Atascadero City Council|
|Headquarters||5505 El Camino Real|
Atascadero, California, California
The Atascadero Police Department, also known as APD, is a local law enforcement agency in the city of Atascadero, California. It was founded in 1980. The departments jurisdiction is about 30 sq mi (78 km2).
The APD's Investigation Unit currently has 1 Detective Sergeant, 2 Detectives and 2 Community Response Officers. Members of the Investigations Unit works closely with investigative personnel from other law enforcement agencies on a County, state, and federal level including other local police departments, the District Attorney's Office, Mental Health, Child and Adult Protective Services, and Rape Crisis teams.
These guys are and do the typical Police Officer jobs
Property and Evidence
The Property and Evidence Technician is allied with the Investigations Unit and is responsible for the collection and storage of evidence and property, including forensic or trace evidence. The Property and Evidence Technician responds to crime scenes to assist with the more complex identification and recovery of evidence. That evidence may include DNA, fingerprints, blood and semen samples, tool marks, or photographs.
The primary objective of the K-9 Unit is to reduce hazard exposure to uniformed patrol officers as they carry out their public safety mission. Jobs for the K-9 Unit include:
- Reduce crime through the pro-active deployment of the police service dog.
- Minimize the potential for assaults and injuries to police officers attempting to apprehend suspects involved in violent crimes.
- Increase the number of suspects apprehended while committing or fleeing from the scene of criminal acts.
- Minimize the potential for injuries to suspects while committing or fleeing from the scene of criminal acts by providing Police Officers with the less lethal force option of deploying the police service dog.
- Reduce the personnel and time needed to thoroughly and safely search buildings or structures for suspects.
- Enhance pro-active narcotics enforcement through the pro-active deployment of narcotics detection police dogs.
- Enhance searches for missing persons or physical evidence.
- Promote positive and closer relationships between the community and the Department.
The Department Traffic Unit is to promote traffic safety through a combination of education and traffic enforcement. The members of the Traffic Unit are responsible for reviewing all traffic collision reports submitted by Department personnel, fatal and felony hit and run traffic collisions, reviews and responds to all citizens complaints regarding traffic issues. In addition the Traffic Unit is also in charge of the City’s vehicle abatement program and is responsible for public safety during special events such as Cruise Night, Colony Days and Winter Wonderland. The Traffic Unit also conducts in house training to Departmental personnel on a variety of traffic related issues.
Special Response Teams (SWAT)
The Special Response Team or more commonly known as SWAT, was created to allow the Atascadero Police Department the option of deploying special weapons and tactics in situations that exceed the normal ability of a patrol officer or detective to respond effectively or safely. Such situations may include barricaded armed suspects, hostage incidents, or high-risk search or arrest warrant service. Critical incidents requiring the SRT and SED have occurred in Atascadero.
The Support Services Unit includes Support Services Technicians (SSTs) or Dispatchers, one SST Lead Technician, and one SST Supervisor. The Support Services Unit receives and dispatches all emergency 911 and non-emergency calls for assistance, including requests for police, fire, and emergency medical personnel. All the SST's are certified emergency medical dispatchers who are capable of providing emergency medical care instructions for the ill or injured until the arrival of emergency medical personnel at the scene.
- Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
- BMW R 1200 RT
- Ford E-Series Cutaway Chassis custom body (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Field Support Unit)
- Ford Police Interceptor Utility SUV