Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
|Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings|
Nintendo Switch cover
|Developer(s)||Gust Co. Ltd.|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch|
Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings[a] is a role-playing video game developed by Gust Co. Ltd., and originally released in Japan for the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4 in December 2017. It was released worldwide in March 2018 for the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows. It is the nineteenth main entry in the Atelier series celebrating the 20 years of the franchise. It is also the third and final game of the Mysterious storyline.
Set eight years after Atelier Sophie and four years after Atelier Firis, the story follows the alchemist twins - the reserved but caring Lydie Marlen, and the eccentric, carefree Suelle Marlen who work alongside their father at the family atelier. But due to his inexperience in alchemy they rarely see any customers. While working to hone their skills, the duo uncovers a mysterious-looking painting, and as they reach out to investigate, the girls are drawn inside a world bountiful with rare materials perfect for alchemy. Thus begins the twin's adventure leading them to their joint goal to run the best atelier in the country. But again, their inexperience and lack of customers makes this a difficult goal to attain. This entry into the series follows Lydie and Suelle go through everyday life at the atelier, but it also mixes everyday life with extraordinary experiences and adventures. To achieve this, "paintings" were chosen to be the theme of this entry into the series.
The player controls Lydie and Suelle Marlen as they travel the world, fight monsters, and take on quests to increase their atelier's reputation. The player can receive "quests" from various NPCs around the game's world, and can unlock various secrets and abilities regarding the mysterious paintings they explore. Combat is turn based, and up to six characters can fight at once, divided into three pairs, each pair composed of an attacker and a supporter. The attacker can always act once their turn begins, but supporters can only act according to certain actions performed by the attacker. The attacker and supporter can switch places during the battle and certain pairs have special combination attacks that can be unleashed with powerful results.  The player must find and purchase various magical reagents and process them into potions, crystals, and food items for the local townspeople. The game also features puzzle-based mini games that allow you to provide for the townspeople.
- Lydie Malen (リディー・マーレン Ridī Māren)
- Voiced by: Maria Naganawa
- The older of the twin protagonists, Lydie isn't very good at physical exercise, but is good at studying. She's social and kind, carefree and does things at her own pace. However, sometimes she can be a bit of an airhead.
- Suelle Malen (スール・マーレン Sūru Māren)
- Voiced by: Hikaru Akao
- The younger of the twin protagonists, Suelle, or just "Sue", is as an energetic girl who is more of a tomboy but dislikes bugs.
- Firis Mistlud (フィリス・ミストルート Firisu Misutirudo)
- Voiced by: Kaede Hondo
- The protagonist of Atelier Firis, she is a certified alchemist who travels the land along her sister Liane, and eventually becomes friends with Lydie and Sue.
- Sophie Neuenmuller (ソフィー・ノイエンミュラー Sofī Noienmyurā)
- Voiced by: Yuuka Aisaka
- The protagonist of Atelier Sophie, she is a certified alchemist who travels the land along her close friend Plachta, and also becomes a member of Lydie and Sue's party.
- Matthias Ferrié Adalet (マティアス・フェリエ・アダレット Matiasu Ferie Adaretto)
- Voiced by: Yuuki Inoue
- The crown prince of Adalet and a knight in training, Matthias has a fear of monsters, but does not hesitate when fighting them is needed. He also fancies himself as a womanizer, but usually fails on his advances. He is assigned by his older sister to assist Lydie and Sue as part of his training to become the next king.
- Alt (アルト Aruto)
- Voiced by: Takuma Nagatsuka
- A mysterious and tactful alchemist who agrees to help Lydie and Sue.
- Lucia Borthayre (ルーシャ・ヴォルテール Rushia Borutieru)
- Voiced by: Reina Ueda
- Lydie and Sue's childhood friend and cousin. She acts cocky towards the sisters, while hiding her desire to get closer to them. She is also available as a player character via DLC.
- Ilmeria Von Leinweber (イルメリア・フォン・ラインウェバー Irumeria Bon Rainuebā)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Kaneko
- A certified alchemist and a returning character from Atelier Firis who becomes Lydie and Sue's teacher. Like Lucia, she is available as a player character via DLC.
The game released in Japan on December 21, 2017 and March 27, 2018 for Western regions. The game will be available in disc-copies and digital download. Unlike previous titles, the western version does not have an English dub, with only the original Japanese voiceover available with subtitles.
In Japan, the PS4 version launched in thirteenth place in the weekly charts with 21,000 copies sold, while the Vita and Switch versions did not appear in the top twenty.
- Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting (リディー＆スールのアトリエ ～不思議な絵画の錬金術士～ Ridī & Sūru no Atorie ~Fushigi na Kaiga no Renkinjutsushi~)
- "Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Paintings set to release in March for North America and Europe". RPG Site. 2017-11-14. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings". IGN. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- Life, Nintendo (2017-09-22). "Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists And The Mysterious Paintings Is Coming To Switch". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on 2017-09-25. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Atelier Lydie & Suelle adds Firis, Ilmeria, and Lydie and Suelle's father - Gematsu". Gematsu. 2017-09-26. Archived from the original on 2017-09-30. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Atelier Lydie & Soeur Details Its Story, Setting, Protagonists, New Battle And Synthesis Elements - Siliconera". Siliconera. 2017-08-14. Archived from the original on 2017-08-15. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- 30th, Dominic Tarason on September; Pm, 2017 at 9:00. "Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists Of The Mysterious Painting | Rock, Paper, Shotgun - PC Game Reviews, Previews, Subjectivity". Archived from the original on 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Tarason, Dominic (2017-09-30). "Atelier Lydie & Suelle is coming to PC early 2018". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Archived from the original on 2017-09-30. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Atelier Lydie & Suelle launches December 21 in Japan - Gematsu". Gematsu. 2017-09-26. Archived from the original on 2017-09-30. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Atelier Lydie & Suelle Shows Us More Of Sophie, Liane, Matthias, And Synthesis Details - Siliconera". Siliconera. 2017-08-30. Archived from the original on 2017-09-10. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- Whitehead, Thomas (2017-12-27). "Nintendo Switch Continues to Dominate in Japan". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on 2017-12-27. Retrieved 2018-01-09.