Ateneo Graduate School of Business
|Type||Private graduate school, Roman Catholic|
|Established||1960 (Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration)
1966 (Graduate School of Business)
|Dean||Rodolfo P. Ang|
|Location||20 Rockwell Drive, Rockwell Center, Makati, Philippines|
The Ateneo Graduate School of Business (AGSB) is one of the top business schools in the Philippines. It is the graduate school for business of Ateneo de Manila University, a private, Roman Catholic university established by the Society of Jesus in the Philippines. Its main campus is located in the Ateneo Professional Schools Building in Rockwell Center, Makati. Aside from the Makati Campus, AGSB has satellite schools in Sta. Rosa (Laguna), Cebu City, Clark (Pampanga), and Iloilo.
The Graduate School of the Ateneo de Manila was established in 1948, offering Master of Arts programs in education and English. Over time, sociology, economics, philosophy, and business administration were added. In 1960, this split into the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration.
Initially, the Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration offered only two part-time evening programs — Master of Arts in Economics, and a Master in Business Administration. A full-time MBA program was added in 1964. Two years later, economics was transferred to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and the school was reorganized into the present-day Ateneo Graduate School of Business (AGSB).
In 1968, the Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle College, the Ford Foundation, and Harvard University collaborated to set up the Asian Institute of Management (AIM), with the agreement that AIM was to concentrate on offering full-time MBA programs, while Ateneo and La Salle would focus exclusively on part-time programs. AGSB seconded many of its faculty to the AIM, and discontinued its full-time MBA program. Now focused exclusively on working students, AGSB moved to a new campus on H.V. de la Costa St., Salcedo Village, Makati in 1977, to be more accessible to its target clientele.
In 1993, former Secretary of Health, Dr. Alfredo R.A. Bengzon became Dean of AGSB. In the 1990s, AGSB grew rapidly, and added new degree and non-degree programs, eventually including MBA in Health, and an award-winning Leaders for Health program.
The Ateneo Professional Schools, made up of AGSB and the Ateneo Law School, moved to a new campus at the Rockwell Center, in Makati City, in 1998. The Ateneo-Regis MBA program was launched that same year, in partnership with Regis University (Denver, Colorado).
In 2003, the Commission on Higher Education granted AGSB full autonomy status. In 2004, CHED rated AGSB as the number one business school in the country out of the 199 schools it evaluated that year.
AGSB operates satellite campuses over the country, including in Santa Rosa, Laguna; Clark Field, Pampanga; Cebu City; and Iloilo City.
The AGSB offers four academic degree programs:
- Master of Business Administration - Standard Program (MBA-Standard)
- Master of Business Administration - Program for Middle Managers (MBA-MM)
- Master of Business Administration - Accelerated Program with Regis University (MBA-Regis)
- Master of Business Administration in Health (MBA-H)
- Master in Entrepreneurship
- Master in Corporate Entrepreneurship
The AGSB Center for Continuing Education offers short subject courses through modules that cover almost all functional areas of business management (i.e., marketing, finance, banking, insurance, and hotels). These executive education courses are intended for working professionals who hold at least a bachelor's degree and have from three to five years' work experience.
- Nieves Confesor - Dean of the Asian Institute of Management, former Secretary of Labor and Employment, former Chairperson of the Governing Body of the International Labour Organization
- Lydia B. Echauz - President of the Far Eastern University, former Dean of the De La Salle Graduate School of Business
- Fidel V. Ramos - former President of the Philippines and Secretary of National Defense
- Akiko Thomson - Philippine swimmer and delegate to the Olympic, Asian, and SEA Games
- Carlos Dominguez III - Governor for the Republic of the Philippines in the Asian Development Bank, former chief executive of Philippine Airlines, 31st Secretary of Finance, former Secretary of Agriculture and Minister of Natural Resources
- "Appointment of Mr Rodolfo Ang as Dean of the AGSB". Ateneoscholar.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Office of the Registrar, Ateneo Graduate School of Business, 2006.