|Full name||Athanasios Petsos|
|Date of birth||5 June 1991|
|Place of birth||Düsseldorf, Germany|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|1999–2001||Düsseldorf 99 SC|
|2010||Bayer Leverkusen II||8||(0)|
|2010–2012||→ 1. FC Kaiserslautern (loan)||39||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 August 2015.
Petsos started his football career at the age of eight for Düsseldorf 99 SC. In 2001 he was lured away to professional club Bayer Leverkusen. He progressed through the youth system and was part of the team that finished runner-up in the Under-19 Bundesliga in 2010. He made his debut for the reserve team in March 2010. He made seven more appearances in the 2009–10 season while continuing to play for the under-19 team. He made his Bundesliga debut on 24 April 2010 against Hannover 96.
In 2010, Petsos signed his first professional contract agreeing to a four-year deal and was immediately loaned out to 1. FC Kaiserslautern for two seasons. He made his full Bundesliga debut for the club on 13 November 2010 against VfB Stuttgart. He made a total of 42 appearances for the club.
In 2012, Petsos signed for newly promoted SpVgg Greuther Fürth on a three-year deal. He made his debut for the club on 18 August 2012 in a DFB-Pokal match against Kickers Offenbach, he then went on to make his Bundesliga debut on 31 August 2012 against Mainz 05. He went on to make a total of 15 appearances for the club.
On 15 July 2013, Petsos joined Austrian club Rapid Wien on a three-year deal.  He made his debut for the club on 27 July 2013 against Wiener Neustadt. On April 2015, the 23-year-old Greek midfielder has been linked with Olympiakos in the past and according to reports the Greek giants have revived their interest in his services. Petsos, whose contract at the Austrian club expires in 2016, has become a regular member of Rapid Wien for yet another season and Olympiakos could consider a move for him in the next transfer window. 
On 3 May 2015, in a away game against SK Sturm Graz made the 2-1 to a final 2-2 draw with a long-range thunderbolt that the opposite keeper could only get his fingers behind.  In the third qualifying round of UEFA Champions League against AFC Ajax, Petsos impressive reading of the victorious 2-3 away game along with his dominant overall playing, forced Ajax's players into more and more turnovers. The final whistle went and confirmed the a quality display from Rapid Wien had earned them not only a victory overall in the tie, but a famous win on the night in Amsterdam. 
- "Στην Γκρόιτερ Φιρτ ο Πέτσος". xrimaonline.gr. 23 May 2012.
- . Rapid sign Petsos Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Rapid lässt Wiener Neustadt keine Chance. sportnet.at. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Petsos linked with Olympiakos". 5 April 2015.
- . bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Τρομερό γκολ ο Πέτσος (vid)". 3 May 2015.
- "Ajax 2:3 Rapid: clinical Hütteldorfers sparkle in Amsterdam". 5 August 2015.
- Athanasios Petsos at National-Football-Teams.com
- Thanos Petsos at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Thanos Petsos – UEFA competition record
- ESPN FC profile