This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||Writer, researcher, doctoral candidate|
Research on Haiti
In 2006, Athena Kolbe (along with co-author Royce Hutson) published the results of a household study in The Lancet which found that 8000 people had been killed and an estimated 35000 women and girls had been sexually assaulted in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area in the 22 months after the ouster of President Jean Bertrand Aristide.
In collaboration with the Small Arms Survey, Athena Kolbe conducted a study in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, in the summer of 2009 that found just over half the people in three highly populated zones had access to electricity. Most used water kiosks as their main source of drinking water and few had water piped into their homes. Most homes used pit latrines and more than 90 percent of those surveyed by Kolbe used charcoal rather than gas as their cooking fuel.
Kolbe and colleagues conducted a post-earthquake needs assessment after the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti which determined that nearly 160,000 people died in the Port-au-Prince area, less estimated death toll released by the Haitian government. Most of those killed in the earthquake were children under 12. Some of the most commonly reported illnesses after the earthquake were diarrhea, headaches and fever, and in some cases these treatable illnesses resulted in death. Kolbe et al. estimated that 10,000 individuals were sexually assaulted in the six weeks after the earthquake.
Research on Lebanon
In 2007 and 2008, Athena Kolbe (along with co-authors Royce Hutson, Bernadette Stringer, Harry Shanon, Ted Haines and Imad Salamy, conducted the "Health Human Rights & Armed Violence in South Lebanon" study. This study found that more than 5000 people had been injured and 70,000 homes damaged in the July 2006 conflict between Israel and Hizbollah.
Athena Kolbe and Royce Hutson co-authored "Survey Research", a chapter in The Handbook of Social Work Research Methods, edited by Bruce Thyer (2009).
- "Shocking Lancet Study: 8,000 Murders, 35,000 Rapes and Sexual Assaults in Haiti During U.S.-Backed Coup Regime After Aristide Ouster | Democracy Now!". democracynow.org. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Human Security Report Project". hsrgroup.org. Retrieved April 13, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie". thelancet.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Richard Allen Greene, CNN. "Aid workers heading to Haiti fear for their safety - CNN.com". edition.cnn.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Small Arms Survey - Highlights: Mortality, crime and access to basic needs before and after the Haiti earthquake". smallarmssurvey.org. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Wayne State University Researchers Determine Quake's Effect on Mortality and Well-Being of Port-Au-Prince... -- DETROIT, Jan. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --". prnewswire.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie". informaworld.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "index". lebanon-violence.org. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Error...". apha.confex.com. Archived from the original on February 27, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Small Arms Survey - Small Arms Survey 2009" (PDF). Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Thyer, B. (2009). The Handbook of Social Work Research Methods. SAGE Publications. p. 131. ISBN 9781412958394. Retrieved April 13, 2015.