Athens Stock Exchange
|Location||Athinon Avenue 110, Athens, Greece|
|Owner||Hellenic Exchanges S.A. (100%)|
|Key people||Iakovos Georganas (Chairman)
Socrates Lazaridis (CEO)
|No. of listings||243|
|Market cap||€40.17 billion (21/9/2016)|
The Athens Stock Exchange or ASE or ATHEX (Greek: Χρηματιστήριο Αθηνών or ΧΑΑ) is a stock exchange located in Athens, Greece. There are five markets operating in ATHEX: regulated securities market, regulated derivatives market, Alternative market, carbon market (for EUAs) and OTC market. In the regulated securities market investors can trade in stocks, bonds, ETFs and other related securities.
ATHEX has over 30 indices. The six main indices are: Composite Index (GD), FTSE/Athex Large Cap (FTSE , also known as FTSE 25), FTSE/Athex Mid Cap Index (FTSEM), FTSE/Athex Market Index (FTSEA), FTSE/ATHEX Global Traders Index Plus (FTSEGTI) and FTSE/ATHEX Factor-Weighted Index (FTSEMSFW).
The Athens stock exchange was closed on 27 June 2015 because of the Greek government-debt crisis. It reopened on 3 August 2015 and lost more than 16% in the day's trading with certain bank stocks plummeting 30%, the daily change limit.
The Athens Stock Exchange started trading in 1876. Its day-to-day running has been assigned to Hellenic Exchanges – Athens Stock Exhange S.A., whose shares are listed on the exhange (Athex: EXAE). The derivatives market started trading in August 1999. In 2002 the Athens Stock Exchange and the Athens Derivatives Exchange merged to form the Athens Stock Exchange.
After being closed due to the ongoing debt crisis since June 27, 2015, the stock market crashed when the exchange was reopened on 3 August. The overall index lost over 16% of its value with bank stocks losing the maximum allowed 30% on the day's trading.
Until 2007, the exchange was located on Sofocleous Street, in the central business district of Athens. For this reason the Exchange and Sofocleous St became synonymous with each other. It is now located in its new headquarters at 110 Athinon Street, also called Kavalas Street. The exchange's trading hours are from 10:00am to 05:20pm Monday to Friday, and is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays declared by the Exchange in advance.
Companies and stocks
|Economy of Greece|
Companies listed on the exchange are regulated by the Hellenic Capital Market Commission. As of 20 March 2016 on the Athens Stock Exchange 233 companies are represented with 243 stocks. The Securities Market has 229 stocks(219 companies) and the Alternative Market has 14 stocks (14 companies). The 229 stocks of the Securities Market are divided into five categories:
- Main Market (142 stocks from 139 companies)
- Low Dispersion (10 stocks/companies)
- Surveillance (32 stocks from 29 companies)
- Under Suspension (40 stocks from 37 companies)
- Under Deletion (5 stocks from 4 companies).
For a list of the companies see: List of companies listed on the Athens Exchange .
The Athens Exchange uses the symbol GD for the Composite Index. The Bloomberg code for this index is ASE; the Reuters code is .ATG . The Composite Index was launched on 31 December 1980 (35 years ago) and has 60 constituents.
Notes and References
- 243 stocks (if we include the 14 stocks of the Alternative Market)
- "Stocks, All Markets – helex.gr". helex.gr.
- value of the trades of 18/3/2016
- "Markets". helex.gr.
- "Indices – helex.gr". helex.gr.
- Udland, Myles (28 June 2015). "REPORT: Greece's stock market will be closed for at least a week". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Greek stock market bloodbath as exchange reopens". AP. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Market Holidays". Athens Exchange Group. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Zeynep Copur. "Handbook of Research on Behavioral Finance and Investment Strategies ...". IGI Global. p. 257. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Market Hours, Athens Exchange via Wikinvest
- "ANNUAL REPORT 2009" (PDF). Hellenic Republic Capital Market Commission. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Companies, All Markets – helex.gr". helex.gr.
- There are 10 preferred stocks. See below.
- "Stocks, Alternative Market– helex.gr". helex.gr.
- The preferred stocks LEBEP, TITP, XYLEP correspond respectively to the common stocks LEBEK, TITK, XYLEK
- "Stocks, Main Market– helex.gr". helex.gr.
- "Stocks, Low Dispersion– helex.gr". helex.gr.
- ANEP, ANEPO are preferred stocks of the companý that has ANEK as common stock and MPP is the preferred stock of the company that has MPK as common stock.
- "Stocks, Surveillance– helex.gr". helex.gr.
- The preferred stocks EMDPO, MHXAP, PRAXP correspond respectively to the common stocks EMDKO, MHXAK, PRAXC
- "Stocks, Under Suspension – helex.gr". helex.gr.
- AAAP is preferred stock of the company that has AAAK as common stock.
- "Stocks, Under Deletion– helex.gr". helex.gr.
- "GD: Index overview". Helex.gr. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "ASE Quote – Athens Stock Exchange General Index". Bloomberg.com.
- "GD: Index composition". Helex.gr. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Athens Stock Exchange.|