Athens Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Athens Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Adena Indian mounds at The Plains
Location of Athens Township in Athens County
|• Total||37.1 sq mi (96.0 km2)|
|• Land||36.6 sq mi (94.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||833/sq mi (321.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085750|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Dover Township - north
- Ames Township - northeast corner
- Canaan Township - east
- Lodi Township - southeast corner
- Alexander Township - south
- Lee Township - southwest corner
- Waterloo Township - west
- York Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Athens Township was organized in 1805.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Athens township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- History of Hocking Valley, Ohio. Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883. p. 227.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.