Athletes in Action/Bart Starr Award
The Athletes in Action/Bart Starr Award is given annually to an NFL player who best exemplifies outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community. Nominees are gathered from the Public Relations Directors of each NFL team, the past winners of the Bart Starr Award, the Athletes in Action Pro Staff working with NFL teams and Bart Starr himself. Ballots are sent to each team and voting takes place at the same time as the Pro Bowl selections. The votes are tabulated and the winner is announced at the annual Super Bowl Breakfast, an NFL-sanctioned event hosted by Athletes in Action, the sports ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. The award, bearing the name of the Pro Football Hall of Famer, honors Starr’s lifelong commitment to serving as a positive role model to his family, teammates, and community.
Bart Starr Award winners
Winners are listed by year awarded in given not the season. For example, 2015 winner Peyton Manning was given the award after the 2014 NFL season
- Atlanta Falcons safety Eugene Robinson won the award for the 1998 season, but was arrested the very same evening he received the award in Miami, Florida for soliciting a female undercover police officer posing as a prostitute. This occurred on the eve of the Falcons' game against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII. Robinson agreed to return the award.
- St. Louis Rams Offensive Tackle Jackie Slater won the award for the 1995 season and his son Matthew Slater won the award in 2016. This is the first time in NFL history that a father and son have won the award.
- Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Walter Camp Distinguished American Award
- Walter Camp Alumni of the Year
- Amos Alonzo Stagg Award
- National Football Foundation Distinguished American Award
- National Football Foundation Gold Medal Winners
- Theodore Roosevelt Award (NCAA)
- Walter Payton Man of the Year Award
- "Whizzer" White NFL Man of the Year Award
- "Steve Largent – 1989 Award Winner". SuperBowlBreakfast.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Saints QB Drew Brees to receive Bart Starr Award for leadership in the NFL and community". fox59.com. Retrieved 2011-01-20.[permanent dead link]
- "'Skins London Fletcher nabs Bart Starr Award for character, leadership". GantDaily.com. Retrieved 2012-01-11.