Athlon Sports Communications
|Headquarters||Nashville, Tennessee, USA|
|Spencer Hays (majority owner)|
Athlon Sports Communications, Inc., also known as Athlon Sports or simply Athlon, is a publisher founded in 1967 that is based in Nashville, Tennessee. Nashville's Spencer Hays is its majority stockholder.
It publishes preseason single-title sports annuals on professional and college sports. The annuals are sold at newsstands in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Europe. It is the U.S.'s largest publisher of sports annuals, ranking Number 1 in retail sales dollars and magazines sold.
Athlon's 15 magazines include Athlon Sports monthly, Pro Football, Fantasy Football, National College Football, Southeastern Football, Atlantic Coast Football, Big Ten Football, Big 12 Football, Big East Football, Pac-10 Football, Baseball, College Basketball, Pro Basketball, Racing and Golf. Athlon's digital properties include AthlonSports.com, which has daily coverage of the sports it covers.
In February 2006, it acquired Grogans Sports Information Inc., a fantasy sports publisher based in Littleton, Colorado, that publishes "Grogans Fantasy Football Analyst" in-season scouting reports.
In June 2010, Athlon Sports Communication appointed Anthony Flaccavento publisher for Athlon Sports magazine. Athlon Sports is a monthly publication that launched in October 2010. Athlon Sports began with a circulation of seven million, and grew to nine million in 2011.
- "Who Is Athlon". AthlonSports.com. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- The Alcalde. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Shelly Field (2010). Career Opportunities in the Sports Industry. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Joseph Favorito (2012). Sports Publicity. Routledge. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Judy Sarles (March 19, 2000). "Suit targets clothier's religious climate". Nashville Business Journal. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "An American original". Forbes. December 1, 1997. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Geert De Lombaerde (December 7, 2011). "Athlon CEO steps down". Nashville Post. Retrieved April 8, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Athlon buys fantasy sports publisher Grogans". Nashville Business Journal. February 8, 2006. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Virginia Tech's Allison Tallman a finalist in Athlon Sideline Spirit Contest; Winner to be featured in 2005 Athlon Sports College Football Preview". hokiesports.com. November 30, 2004. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Dan Hieb (June 14, 2010). "Athlon Sports hires publisher". Nashville Business Journal. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Athlon Sports Launches as Largest Sports Magazine in the U.S. With 7MM Circulation", October 15, 2010