Hutchinson with Besiktas in 2014
|Date of birth||February 8, 1983|
|Place of birth||Brampton, Ontario, Canada|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive Midfielder|
|North Scarborough Soccer Club|
|2002||York Region Shooters||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 March 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 6 September 2016
Atiba Hutchinson (born February 8, 1983) is a Canadian professional soccer player who is currently playing for Beşiktaş and the Canadian national team as a midfielder. While playing in Denmark he won the Danish Super Liga Player of the Year, becoming the first North American player to receive the award. That same season Hutchinson won Canadian Player of the Year for the first time in his career. Between 2010 and 2013, he played for PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivisie.
Hutchinson was born in Brampton, Ontario to Trinidadian parents. Following a March 2001 trial at Schalke 04 in Germany, Hutchinson began his professional career in the 2002 summer season, playing briefly with the York Region Shooters of the Canadian Professional Soccer League before signing with the Toronto Lynx of the then A-League in mid-season, on July 26, and playing in the team's final four games.
In January 2003 he signed with Östers IF, newly promoted to the Swedish Allsvenskan. Hutchinson scored six times for Öster during the 2003 season. With the club relegated out of the Allsvenskan, Hutchinson was granted a transfer for an estimated £1.32 million and signed with Helsingborgs IF in January 2004.
Expectations were high for him the first season in Helsingborg, but they were ultimately unsatisfied. However, in the 2005 season he was consistently the team's best player, scoring six goals from a primarily defensive midfield position.
Hutchinson moved to Danish club F.C. Copenhagen, where, for the first half of the year, he played alongside Swedish international Tobias Linderoth in central midfield, latterly being used around the midfield and as a striker. Manager Ståle Solbakken said in an interview with the football paper TIPS-bladet, that he saw Hutchinson's attacking talents as being too impressive for a central midfielder, saying that he would be used more often as winger. He has been linked with Premier League clubs several times.
After Hutchinson had left Denmark for his new team in the Eredivisie he was awarded Danish Super Liga Player of the Year for his last season with Copenhagen. This award was given on November 15, 2010 by Franz Beckenbauer at the annual Danish Football Association award show. This was the first time a Canadian had won this award in the Danish League.
In 2014, 32,000 fans participated in a fan vote selecting their 11 all-time favourite Copenhagen players, selecting Hutchinson in the midfield.
On April 22, 2010, Hutchinson signed a 3-year contract with PSV Eindhoven joining them on a free transfer. Atiba made his PSV debut in a 6-0 home victory against De Graafschap on August 14, 2010. Four days later he made his European debut for the team in a surprising 1-0 first leg defeat to FC Sibir Novosibirsk in the Europa League, however PSV won the second leg 5-0 making it to the next stage of the competition. Atiba scored his first goal with the Dutch side on January 23, 2011, his goal came in the 46th minute of a 3-0 away victory against VVV-Venlo. Hutchinson started the 2010 season playing a defensive role as a right back, however with the mid-season transfer of Ibrahim Afellay to Barcelona allowed Hutchinson to move into his more natural position of the central midfield. Atiba continued to impress through the winter scoring his second goal of the season in a 3-2 away victory against Excelsior on March 5, 2011. Atiba also help lead PSV to the Quarter Finals of the Europa League before being knocked out by Benfica in Mid-April losing 6-3 on aggregate.
Hutchinson was forced to miss the beginning of the 2011–12 Eredivisie due to his knee injury sustained with Canada at the Gold Cup that summer. After missing the first two games of the season Hutchinson made his return on August 21, 2011 as a second-half substitute for Zakaria Labyad against ADO Den Haag, the game ended in a 3-0 away victory for PSV. Weeks later Hutchinson sustained yet another knee injury during a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification against Saint Lucia forcing him to have his third knee operation in 18 months.
With PSV's summer addition of Mark van Bommel Hutchinson was moved back to defense playing right back. On August 26, 2012 Atiba scored his first goal of the new season courtesy of a Dries Mertens through ball in the 38th minute, the game ended in a 3-1 away victory over FC Groningen.
With a desire to sign for a Premier League team Hutchinson let his contract run out with PSV and went into the summer of 2013 looking for a new team, on 30 July it was announced that he had joined Beşiktaş J.K. in the Süper Lig. Hutchinson scored his first goal for the club on 23 March 2014 in a 3–0 victory over Akhisar Belediyespor. After missing the first leg in the 2014–15 UEFA Champions League play-off round Hutchinson had a standout performance against Arsenal in which Arsène Wenger said Hutchinson was the most impressive Besiktas player; the game ended in a 1–0 away defeat for the Turkish side. In the 2015–16 Süper Lig season, Hutchinson was rewarded with another hardfought honour as Beşiktaş J.K. triumphed in the league campaign.
He made his senior debut for Canada in a January 2003 friendly match against the United States and, by December 2009, has earned a total of 47 caps, scoring 3 goals. He has represented Canada in 12 FIFA World Cup qualification matches and at the 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cups.
December 17, 2010 Atiba was awarded the Canadian Men's Player of the Year by the CSA for the first time of his career. Hutchinson was heavily favored for this award in 2010 for his play with the national team, joining a well known European club and becoming the first Canadian to win the Danish Superliga Player of the year. Atiba won with 31.4% of the vote with Dwayne De Rosario in second place, Simeon Jackson was the award winner in 2009. December 12, 2012 Hutchinson was again awarded the Canadian Player of the year from the CSA for the second time in his career. Hutchinson was once again awarded the 2015 Canadian Men's Player of the Year by the CSA marking his 4th straight award and 5th in the last 6 years.
Hutchinson was selected to the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup squad. However following the 2-0 loss to the Americans at Ford Field Hutchinson sustained a knee injury forcing him to miss the rest of the tournament.
- As of matches played on March 20, 2017.
|York Region Shooters||2002||CPSL||2||0||0||0||—||2||0|
|Toronto Lynx||2002||USL First Division||4||0||0||0||4||0|
- 1.^ Includes Swedish Cup, Danish Cup, Dutch Cup, and Turkish Cup.
- 2.^ Includes UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.
- 3.^ Includes Dutch Super Cup and Turkish Super Cup.
- Scores and results list Canada's goal tally first.
|1||9 October 2004||Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano, San Pedro Sula, Honduras||Honduras||
||2006 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2||12 July 2005||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, United States||Cuba||
||2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|3||25 March 2007||Independence Park, Kingston, Jamaica||Bermuda||
|4||8 October 2010||Valeriy Lobanovskyi Dynamo Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine||Ukraine||
|5||23 May 2014||Sonnenseestadion, Ritzing, Austria||Bulgaria||
|6||4 September 2015||BMO Field, Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Belize||
||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- FC Copenhagen
- PSV Eindhoven
- Beşiktaş J.K.
- Danish Superliga Player of the Year: 2009–10
- Canadian Player of the Year: 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
- "Atiba Hutchinson". canadasoccer.com. Canadian Soccer Association. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Canadian Exports: Atiba Hutchinson, PSV Eindhoven fall short of Dutch Eredivisie title". Yahoo. Archived from the original on December 30, 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "Association announces All-Time Canada XI - men's team - Canada Soccer".
- Player Profile Archived June 3, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "28.03.2001 - ETT-Spiel auf dem Kunstrasen am Parkstadion: FC Schalke 04 - RSC Anderlecht". Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Girard, Daniel (December 17, 2010). "Brampton's Atiba Hutchinson voted Canada's top male soccer player". Toronto Star. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Canadian claims Blues interest
- Pyndt, Thomas (2007-02-23), "Kampen om midtbanen", TIPS-bladet, p. 14
- "Denmark annonces year's soccer awards".
- "F.C. København - Det officielle website - Nyhedsvisning".
- uefa.com (22 April 2010). "PSV verpflichtet Hutchinson - UEFA.com".
- "PSV Eindhoven vs. De Graafschap - Football Match Summary - August 14, 2010 - ESPN".
- "VVV Venlo vs. PSV Eindhoven - Football Match Summary - January 23, 2011 - ESPN".
- "Excelsior vs. PSV Eindhoven - Football Match Summary - March 5, 2011 - ESPN".
- uefa.com (18 April 2011). "UEFA Europa League - News – UEFA.com".
- "Canada's Hutchinson questionable for World Cup qualifiers".
- "ADO Den Haag vs. PSV Eindhoven - Football Match Summary - August 21, 2011 - ESPN".
- "404: Page Not Found - Sportsnet.ca".
- Scholten, Berend (14 May 2012). "Van Bommel back at PSV after leaving Milan". UEFA.com. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Soccer Unbeaten Twente remain top triple delight at Twente Yahoo Sports[dead link]
- "Latest World Soccer News & Standings - Goal.com".
- "Besiktas climb to second spot in Turkish League".
- Canadian Atiba Hutchinson turns heads as he climbs the ladder in world soccer vancouversun.com[dead link]
- "Big Sunday for Canadians as Atiba Hutchinson wins title, Tomori makes debut". May 15, 2016.
- Appearances for Canada National Team – RSSSF
- Record at FIFA Tournaments – FIFA
- Atiba Hutchinson is the male selection for 2010 award Archived July 8, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. – Canadian Soccer Association
- Hutchinson is male selection for 2012 BMO Canadian Players of the Year award– Canadian Soccer Association
- Magazine, RedNation Online: Your Canadian Soccer. "XI out of 10: CAN v Guadeloupe".
- "Atiba Hutchinson » Club matches". World Football. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Atiba Hutchinson named Canadian soccer player of the year".
- (Danish) F.C. København profile
- Atiba Hutchinson at Danmarks Radio (Danish)
- Player profile – CanadaSoccer
- Atiba Hutchinson – UEFA competition record
- Atiba Hutchinson at National-Football-Teams.com
- Football Database Profile
|F.C. Copenhagen Player of the Year