Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health System (AHS) is a not-for-profit private healthcare company that operates hospitals and health care facilities in New Jersey. The president and chief executive of Atlantic Health System is Brian A. Gragnolati, and the chairman of the Board of Trustees is Robert Toohey.
In 2017, AHS listed 16,407 employees and 4,796 physicians. With 1,860 beds 88,361 admissions were registered.
In 2013, the company was ranked 49th among Fortune’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For." In 2014 they were listed as 25th, in 2015 they were ranked 39th and in 2016 they were ranked 79th.
Atlantic Health System serves 4.9 million across 11 counties in Northern New Jersey. Atlantic Health System has six acute care hospitals :
- Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, New Jersey
- Goryeb Children’s Hospital, Morristown, New Jersey
- Overlook Medical Center, Summit, New Jersey
- Newton Medical Center, Newton, New Jersey
- Chilton Memorial Hospital, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
- Hackettstown Medical Center, Hackettstown, New Jersey
Medicare overbilling allegations
On June 21, 2012, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that AHS Hospital Corp., Atlantic Health System Inc., and Overlook Hospital agreed to pay the United States $8,999,999 to settle allegations that they violated the False Claims Act by allegedly overbilling Medicare. The settlement was part of the Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT) initiative. The settlement resolved allegations that Overlook Hospital, owned and operated by AHS Hospital Corporation, and Atlantic Health Systems Inc., overbilled Medicare for patients who were treated on an inpatient basis when they should have been treated as either observation patients or on an outpatient basis.
- Darragh, Tim (30 March 2015), "Johns Hopkins executive to take over as CEO at Atlantic Health System", NJ.com, retrieved 12 September 2015
- Burd, Joshua (24 June 2015). "New Atlantic Health chair sees plenty of challenges — and opportunities — ahead". NJBiz. Journal Multimedia. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- "S&P, Moody's Give Atlantic Health System Highest Health System Rating in NJ" (Press release). Atlantic Health System. August 17, 2017.
- Independent Press (2013-01-20). "Atlantic Health System, parent company of Morristown, Overlook and Newton Medical ranks among top 50". NJ.com.
- 2014 100 Best Companies to work for
- 79. Atlantic Health System LAST YEAR'S RANK: 39
- "About Us | Hackettstown Medical Center, Hackettstown NJ". www.hrmcnj.org. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "New Jersey Hospital Pays U.s. $8,999,999 to Settle False Claims Act Allegations". US Department of Justice – June 21, 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-25.