The terminal's entrance pavilion, opened 2010
|Location||Atlantic Avenue, Flatbush Avenue & Hanson Place
Downtown, Brooklyn, New York
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||3 island platforms|
|Connections||New York City Subway:
at Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center
NYCT Bus: B41, B45, B63, B65, B67
|Opened||July 2, 1877|
|Electrified||July 26, 1905
750V (DC) third rail
|Previous names||Brooklyn (1852–1877)
Flatbush Avenue (1877–2010)
Atlantic Terminal, formerly called Flatbush Avenue, is the westernmost stop on the Long Island Rail Road's (LIRR) Atlantic Branch, located at Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, New York City. It is the primary terminal for the Far Rockaway, Hempstead, and West Hempstead Branches. The terminal is located in the City Terminal Zone, the LIRR's Zone 1, and thus part of the CityTicket program. The LIRR announced that extra service from Babylon and Hicksville will go directly to Atlantic Terminal during New York Islanders games at Barclays Center. Passengers would normally have to transfer at Jamaica to go to Babylon or Hicksville.
|Above ground||-||Pavilion (Connection to Atlantic Terminal Mall)|
|G||Street level||Exit/ Entrance|
|M||Lobby||Tickets, transfer to New York City Subway services|
|Track 1||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
|Island platform (Platform A)|
|Track 2||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
|Track 3||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
|Island platform (Platform B)|
|Track 4||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
|Track 5||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
|Island platform (Platform C)|
|Track 6||Atlantic Branch toward Long Island (Nostrand Avenue) →|
This terminal has three high-level island platforms adjacent to six tracks. The north platform, Platform A, is ten cars long and adjacent to Tracks 1 and 2. The two eastern-most cars on Track 1 are not accessible due to a large gap between the train and the platform. The center platform, Platform B, is eight cars long and adjacent to Tracks 3 and 4. (Brook Tower is at the east end of this platform.) The south platform, Platform C, is six cars long adjacent to Tracks 5 and 6. Because the west end of Track 6 is adjacent to the inbound local platform of the IRT Eastern Parkway Line, this track has only enough space for four cars to meet the platform.
Subway and bus connections
Atlantic Terminal is connected to the New York City Subway's Atlantic Avenue – Barclays Center complex, which is served by the 2 3 4 5 B D N Q R trains. Buses serving outside the complex include B41, B45, B63, B65, and B67.
Looking down Platform B. A train to Far Rockaway is on the right
- LIRR Station History
- Average weekday, 2010 LIRR Annual Ridership and Marketing Report
- Castillo, Alfonso A. (September 20, 2014). "LIRR, Barclays Center work to get Islanders fans to come to Brooklyn". Newsday. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "New LIRR Atlantic Terminal Pavilion Opens To The Public" (Press release). Long Island Rail Road. January 5, 2010. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Bagli, Charles V. (March 21, 2008). "Slow Economy Likely to Stall Atlantic Yards". The New York Times. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atlantic Terminal.|
- Official LIRR station information page for Atlantic Terminal
- Station timetable for Atlantic Terminal
- LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD - I. R. T. CONNECTION 1
- NYCSubway.org's page about the terminal
- Flatbush Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- main entrance at Flatbush Avenue and Hanson Place from Google Maps Street View
- BROOK Interlocking (LIRR Today) (registration required)