||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|President||Kevin J. Todeschi (CEO)|
|Location||Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States|
|Accreditation||Distance Education Accrediting Commission|
Atlantic University is an American private non-profit distance education institution of higher and continuing education in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The university is associated with Edgar Cayce's Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.), and its administrative offices are in the Don and Nancy de Laski Education Center on the main A.R.E. campus. The university is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), for its distance education and hybrid programs. The university also maintains licensure with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
Atlantic University received its charter on April 29, 1930, with a goal of offering a liberal arts education through a holistic perspective. Owing to the economic conditions prevailing in the United States at the time, the university closed in 1931. Nevertheless, the charter was kept active. Eventually, in the fall semester of 1985, Atlantic University reopened as a graduate school with a curriculum that focused on the newly developing interdisciplinary field of Transpersonal Studies. The first class graduated in 1989.
Initially the Master of Arts in Transpersonal Studies was offered as a residential program with a few independent study distance education options via a correspondence course model. Over the years, the ratio of distance to residential courses changed until the majority of courses were taught as distance education. The method of instruction of distance courses also changed from a correspondence course model to web-based courses to courses on CD. In 2010, the conversion to a truly online school with three semesters began. As the university changed, continuing education and personal enrichment courses were added. The university now offers a non-credit certificate in Spiritual Guidance Mentor Training and a graduate certificate in Integrated Imagery: Regression Hypnosis. The university will offer a Master of Arts in Leadership Studies and a Graduate Certificate in Mindful Leadership, beginning in 2016.
Master of Arts in Transpersonal Psychology with specializations in:
- General studies
- Applied spirituality
- Leadership and conflict transformation
Master of Arts in Leadership Studies with concentrations in:
- Mindful leadership
- Global leadership
- Organizational leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Integrated Imagery: Regression Hypnosis
- Graduate Certificate in Mindful Leadership
- Spiritual Guidance Mentor Training (non-credit certificate)
- Lifelong learning (non-credit)
- Lucas, Phillip Charles (2005). "Association for Research and Enlightenment", Encyclopedia of Religion (2 ed.). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA. pp. 559–561.
- Lascara, Virginia (5 December 2014). "Edgar Cayce's message of hope, health and healing lives after him". Inside Business. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Edgar Cayce association expands Va. Beach footprint". Viginian-Pilot, Norfolk, VA, published online September 3, 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Edgar Cayce's A.R.E. to Break Ground on New Education Center". A.R.E., Release Date September 6, 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "DEAC History". DEAC. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Directory". Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Private Institutions exempt from certification". SCHEV. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Chronology of Events in Edgar Cayce's Life". A.R.E. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Rediscovering the Roots of Atlantic University". A.R.E. Blog. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Hanegraaff, Wouter J. (2006). Dictionary of Gnosis and Western Esotericism. Boston, MA: Brill Academic Publishers. p. 248.
- McLemee, Scott (12 September 2003). "Prophet and Loss". The Chronicle of Higher Education. 50 (3): A48.
- Davis, James (15 December 1997). "Cayce History There's a New Book, an A&E 'Biography' Profile, and a New Wave of Interest in the 'Sleeping Prophet'". Sun Sentinel: 1E.
- "Big News at Atlantic University". A.R.E. Blog. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2016.