|Directed by||Mati Diop|
|Produced by||Judith Lou Lévy|
|Written by||Mati Diop|
|Starring||Mame Bineta Sane|
|Music by||Fatima Al Qadiri|
|Edited by||Aël Dallier Vega|
Les Films du Bal
|Distributed by||Ad Vitam|
Atlantics (French: Atlantique) is a 2019 internationally co-produced supernatural romantic drama film directed by Mati Diop, in her feature directorial debut. It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival. Diop made history when the film premiered at Cannes, becoming the first black woman to direct a film featured In Competition at the festival. At Cannes, the film won the Grand Prix. It was selected as the Senegalese entry for the Best International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards.
In a suburb of Dakar that lies along the Atlantic coast, a futuristic-looking tower is about to be officially opened. The construction workers have not been paid for months. One night, the workers decide to leave the country by sea, in search of a brighter future. Among them is Souleiman, the lover of Ada. However, Ada is betrothed to another man. Days later, a fire ruins Ada's wedding and a mysterious fever starts to spread. Ada is unaware Souleiman has returned.
- Mame Bineta Sane as Ada
- Amadou Mbow as Issa
- Ibrahima Traoré as Souleiman
- Nicole Sougou as Dior
- Aminata Kane as Fanta
- Mariama Gassama as Mariama
- Coumba Dieng as Thérèse
- Ibrahima Mbaye as Moustapha
- Diankou Sembene as Mr Ndiaye
- Babacar Sylla as Omar
- Abdou Balde as Cheikh
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported that 93% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 54 reviews, with an average rating of 7.57/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "An unpredictable supernatural drama rooted in real-world social commentary, Atlantique suggests a thrillingly bright future for debuting filmmaker Mati Diop." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 81 out of 100 based on 14 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
- List of submissions to the 92nd Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film
- List of Senegalese submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
- Lemercier, Fabien (8 January 2018). "Tournage en mars pour Atlantique (Shooting in March for Atlantic)". Cineuropa. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "Atlantique (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Cannes Film Festival 2019: Nine films to look out for". BBC News. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "Cannes festival 2019: full list of films". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "The Screenings Guide 2019". 9 May 2019. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- Glynn, Paul. "Cannes 2019: Mati Diop 'a little sad' to make history". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Bong Joon-ho's Parasite Wins the Palme d'Or at Cannes". Variety. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Bong Joon-ho's Parasite wins Palme d'Or at Cannes film festival". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Raja, Norine (1 October 2019). "Exclusif : " Atlantique " de Mati Diop représentera le Sénégal aux Oscars". Vanity Fair France. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
- Roxborough, Scott (2 October 2019). "Oscars: Senegal Picks 'Atlantics' for International Feature Film Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- "Atlantics (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Atlantics Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 October 2019.