|Full name||Atli Guðjón Helgason|
|Date of birth||7 March 1967|
|Place of birth||Iceland|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Atli Guðjón Helgason (born 7 March 1967) is an Icelandic lawyer and former footballer who played three games for the Iceland national football team. In 2001 he was sentenced to 16 years in prison for the murder of his business partner.
National team career
He won three caps and scored one goal for the Iceland national football team between 1991 and 1992.
Murder of Einar Örn Birgisson
On November 8, 2000, 27 year old former footballer Einar Örn Birgisson went missing. Einar, the son of former basketball star Birgir Örn Birgis, was Atli's business partner and former teammate. A week later, Atli confessed to his murder, having beaten Einar four times in his head with a hammer in Öskjuhlíð in Reykjavík and hiding his body near Grindavík. On 29 May 2001 he was sentenced to 16 years in prison for the murder. He was released from prison in 2010.
- "Mér er engin vorkunn". Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). 29 May 2004. pp. 1, 24, 25. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Verðmæti hurfu úr dánarbúi Agnars". Dagblaðið Vísir. 17 November 2000. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- Snærós Sindradóttir (19 January 2016). "Faðir Einars Arnar: Uppreist æru Atla sem blaut tuska í andlitið". Vísir.is. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Dómur í máli ákæruvaldsins gegn Atla Helgasyni". Mbl.is. 29 May 2001. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- Samúel Karl Ólason (18 January 2016). "Atli Helgason búinn að fá uppreist æru". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 29 May 2018.
|This biographical article related to association football in Iceland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|