Atma Jaya University, Yogyakarta
Universitas Atma Jaya Yogyakarta (English: Atma Jaya University, Yogyakarta) is a university in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, which was affiliated with the Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya in Jakarta. It was established on 27 September 1965 by the Yogyakarta branch of the Atma Jaya Catholic University Institute of Indonesia. The founders of the University were R.A. Soehardi, A.J. Liem Sioe Siet A., Sutijoso, Oey Liang Lee and Leo Sukoto.
Originally an extension of the Universitas Atma Jaya in Jakarta, it became an independent University under the auspices of the Slamet Rijadi Foundation on 31 August 1973. The University originally borrowed classrooms from the IKIP (Teaching and Education Institute) Sanata Dharma, now the Universitas Sanata Dharma, until the University's own campus buildings, located at Mrican Baru Street, were finished in 1980.
Growing student numbers led to the Faculty of Engineering and the Administration department being moved to a new building in Babarsari Road in 1990, in conjunction with the celebrations of the silver anniversary of the founding of the University. In 1995, the Economics Faculty and the Postgraduate Program moved into a new building beside the existing building in Babarsari Road. In 2005 a new building was built adjacent to the Faculty of Engineering and the Administration department to host the Faculty of Social and Political Science. The University also acquired the former BHS Bank building to host administrative department. A new integrated library 4 story building has been built next to the Faculty of Social and Political Science building. It will host library and Information Systems Center. The Library building is officially open in a mass led by Mgr. Ignatius Suharyo (Arch Bishop) on October 2009.
In late 2010, an additional project to build new building was started. It is planned as an additional to the existing Faculty of Social and Political Science Building. The new building is situated on the east of the current building.
The motto of the University is "Servien in lumine veritatis" (serving in the light of truth).
The Rector for 2007-2011 period was Prof. Dr. Dibyo Prabowo, M.Sc with 3 vice rectors Dr. A. Koesmargono (Academic), Mr Luddy Indra Purnama (Administrative and Finance), and Mr A. Siswanto as acting (temporary) vice rector for Students, Alumni, and Cooperation. In early 2009, Mr. A. Siswanto was replaced by Mr Hestu Cipto Handoyo, the position vice rector for Students, Alumni, and Cooperation became permanent (no longer temporary/acting). On 19 August 2009 Prof. Dr. Dibyo Prabowo, M.Sc. died after a week in hospital due to a heart attack. Dr. A. Koesmargono was appointed as acting rector. Eventually, Dr. Koesmargono is elected as rector after defeating 2 other candidates (Dr. Gunarto the dean of Law Faculty and Dr Kusumadmo from the Faculty of Economics) in an election. Dr Koesmargono will serve as rector for the remainder of Prof. Dibyo Prabowo's term (until 2011). Professor Yoyong Arfiadi is appointed vice rector to fill position left vacant by Dr. Koesmargono.
In December 2010, Rector election is held. There are two candidates, Dr Koesmargono (the incumbent) and Dr. R. Maryatmo, MA (former dean of Faculty of Economics). The University's Senate will vote for 2011-2015 Rector on December 16, 2010.
UAJY is one of the 50 most promising university and one of the best six universities in Indonesia in term of quality assurance according to Directorate of Higher Education, Department of National Education.
- Engineering Dean Dr. Ade Lisantono, M.Eng
- Civil Engineering (Program Leader Mr. Junaedi Utomo)
- Architecture (Program Leader Mr. Christian J. Sinar Tanujaya)
- Head of International Class Mr Y. Lulie
- Economics Dean Dr. Dorothea Wahyu A, SE, MT.
- Management (Program Leader Dr. Budi Suprapto, MBA)
- Accounting (Program Leader Mrs. Endang Raino Wiryono)
- Economic and Development studies (Program Leader Mrs. Nurcahyaningtyas)
- Head of International Class Dr. Parnawa Putranta, MBA.
- Law Dean FX. Endro Susilo, S.H., LL.M.
- Techno Biology Dean Mr A. Nugroho Wibowo Jati
- Environmental Science
- Industrial Technology Dean Ir. B. Kristyanto, M.Eng, Ph.D
- Social and Political Science Dean Dr. Lukas Suryanto Ispandriarno, MA
- Communications (Program Leader Dr. Yudi Perbawaningish, M.Si.)
- Sociology (Program Leader Dr. Andreas Susanto, MS)
Director Dr. Riawan Tjandra, SH, M.Hum
In 2009, along with the appointment of the new director of postgraduate program (Dr. Sari Murti Widiyastuti, SH, M.Hum) UAJY is planning to establish doctoral program within the Faculty of Economics (management) and Faculty of Law.
- Master of Management (Program Leader Dr. Slamet Santoso Sarwono, MBA)
- Master of Engineering - Construction Management (Program Leader Mr Harijanto Setiawan)
- Master of Law (Program Leader Mr Bambang Riyanto)
- Master of Digital Architecture (Program Leader Dr. Amos Setiadi, ST, MT)
- Master of Informatics (Program Leader Prof. Suyoto)