The natural Atmakaraka is the Sun in all natal charts. The personal Atmakaraka is the Chara Atmakaraka which is considered more important than the natural Atmakaraka (Sun) according to Jaimini's Astrology. Chara in Sanskrit means 'movable', and one of eight planets (Sun, Moon, Venus, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu) can be the Chara Atmakaraka, depending on its degree (0°… 29°) in the natal chart. The planet that has the highest degree is considered the Chara Atmakaraka.
In Jaimini Astrology following karakas exist:
- Atmakaraka (Own Self, Soul, [Considered the strongest planet irrespective of exaltation, debilitation or combustion])
- Amatyakaraka (Intellect, Mind, Guide and Protector of the Atmakaraka and also represents the Career of an Individual Person, [A Planet of Equal Importance to the Atmakaraka])
- Bhratrukaraka (Brothers and sisters)
- Matrukaraka (Mother)
- Putrakaraka (Children)
- Gnatikaraka (Cousins and relations)
- Darakaraka (Husband, wife)
Some experts give an 8th karaka; however, most only use 7 karakas. In Jaimini Astrology these karakas are identified from the descending order of degree. The planet with highest degree, minutes and seconds will be Atmakaraka, next planet with lesser degree will be Amatyakarka and so on (since the lunar nodes run backwards, applies the inverse number of degrees of Rahu). The Rasi and Nakshatra in which the Atmakaraka and also the Amatyakaraka is placed plays an important role in deciding and determining your true nature.
- The Essentials of Vedic Astrology, by Komilla Sutton, The Wessex Astrologer Ltd, England.
|This astrology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|