Atomic Energy Act of 1954
|Long title||An Act to amend the Atomic Energy Act of 1946, as amended, and for other purposes.|
|Enacted by||the 83rd United States Congress|
|Effective||August 30, 1954|
|Statutes at Large||68 Stat. 919|
|Titles amended||42 U.S.C.: Public Health and Social Welfare|
|U.S.C. sections amended||42 U.S.C. ch. 14|
The Atomic Energy Act of 1954, 42 U.S.C. §§ 2011-2021, 2022-2286i, 2296a-2297h-13, is a United States federal law that is, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, "the fundamental U.S. law on both the civilian and the military uses of nuclear materials." It covers the laws for the development, regulation, and disposal of nuclear materials and facilities in the United States.
It was an amendment to the Atomic Energy Act of 1946 and substantially refined certain aspects of the law, including increased support for the possibility of a civilian nuclear industry. Notably it made it possible for the government to allow private companies to gain technical information (Restricted Data) about nuclear energy production and the production of fissile materials, allowing for greater exchange of information with foreign nations as part of President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace program, and reversed certain provisions in the 1946 law which had made it impossible to patent processes for generating nuclear energy or fissile materials.
- Arms Control and Disarmament Act of 1961
- Atomic Energy Act
- Bourke B. Hickenlooper
- Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act of 1978
Notes and references
- "NRC: Our Governing Legislation: Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as Amended in NUREG-0980". U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Retrieved April 7, 2006.
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "Dwight D. Eisenhower: "Statement by the President Upon Signing the Atomic Energy Act of 1954.," August 30, 1954". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- NRC.gov: The Atomic Energy Act of 1954 – PDF file.
- Peters, Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "Dwight D. Eisenhower: "Special Message to the Congress Recommending Amendments to the Atomic Energy Act.," February 17, 1954". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.