Atoms for Peace (band)
|Atoms for Peace|
Atoms for Peace performing in 2010
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Electronica, alternative rock, experimental rock|
|Associated acts||Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ultraísta, Forro in the Dark|
Atoms For Peace is an alternative rock supergroup formed in 2009 comprising Radiohead singer Thom Yorke (vocals, guitar, and piano), Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, longtime Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich (keyboards, synthesisers, guitars), Joey Waronker of Beck and R.E.M. (drums) and Mauro Refosco (percussion) of Forro in the Dark. Yorke formed the band to perform songs from his debut solo album, The Eraser (2006). Their debut album, Amok, was released on February 25, 2013.
In 2006, Radiohead singer Thom Yorke released his first solo album, The Eraser. In 2009, to perform the album live, Yorke recruited Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, longtime Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich (keyboards, synthesisers, guitars), Joey Waronker of Beck and R.E.M. (drums) and Mauro Refosco (percussion) of Forro in the Dark.
Yorke wanted to recreate the electronic beats of The Eraser using live musicians. He said: "It’s like opening a big Pandora's Box, and I don’t know what direction it’s going to go in. We’ve got these bonkers rhythms made by machines, and musicians who can keep up with them – no problem – and the two can bounce off each other. It’s quite something."
The band went unnamed for early performances, listed as "Thom Yorke" or "??????". In February 2010, the band announced an American tour and a name, Atoms for Peace. The band shares the name with a 1953 speech by American President Dwight D. Eisenhower and a song from The Eraser.
After the tour ended in 2010, Atoms for Peace spent three days jamming and recording original material in a Los Angeles studio. Yorke and producer Godrich edited and arranged the recordings from the sessions over two years, combining it with Yorke's electronic music. Their debut album, Amok, was released on February 25, 2013, through XL Recordings.
- Thom Yorke – lead vocals, guitars, piano, keyboards, percussion
- Flea – bass guitar, melodica, keyboards
- Nigel Godrich – keyboards, synthesizers, guitars, percussion, backing vocals
- Mauro Refosco – percussion, additional drums, marimba
- Joey Waronker – drums
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2012||"Tamer Animals"/"Other Side"||—|
|2013||"Judge, Jury and Executioner"||—|
|"Before Your Very Eyes..."||—|
|2013||"Judge, Jury and Executioner"||Tarik Barri|
|"Before Your Very Eyes..."||Andrew Thomas Huang|
- "A New Career in a New Town: Radiohead’s Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich open Pandora’s Box and run AMOK as Atoms for Peace". Retrieved 2015-05-02.
- Dombal, Ryan (February 25, 2010). "Thom Yorke Names Solo Band, Lines Up American Spring Tour". Pitchfork Media. Archived from the original on 2010-02-27. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Q&A: Thom Yorke on Atoms for Peace's 'Mechanistic' New Album". Rolling Stone. November 5, 2012. Retrieved Feb 18, 2013.
- "Calendar". Xlrecordings.com. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "Atoms for Peace, releases".
- "Atoms For Peace announce three London shows". Uncut. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Thom Yorke's Atoms For Peace Release New Single". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atoms For Peace (band).|