|Trade credit insurer|
1925 Nederlandsche Credietverzekering Maatschappij (NCM),
1929 Crédito y Caución,
1954 Gerling-Konzern Speziale Kreditversicherung,2001 GERLING NCM
|Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, Oceania, South America|
|Isidoro Unda, chairman and chief executive officer (2008), Andreas Tesch, Christian van Lint, Claus Gramlich-Eicher, Marc Henstridge|
|Products||Export Credit Insurance, Bonding, Instalment Credit Protection (ICP), Reinsurance Business, Collections|
|Owner||Crédito y Caución (64.23%), Grupo Catalana Occidente (35.77%) (2012)|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Atradius Crédito y Caución S.A. de Seguros y Reaseguros (ES), Atradius Collections Holding B.V. (NL), Atradius Credit Insurance Agency, Inc (USA), Atradius Insurance Holding N.V. (NL), Atradius Finance B.V. (NL), Atradius Participations Holding B.V. (NL)|
Footnotes / references|
Annual Report 2017 Atradius N.V. https://group.atradius.com/about-us/annual-reports.html
Atradius provides trade credit insurance, surety and collections services worldwide through a presence in more than 50 countries around the globe. It is the credit insurance arm of Grupo Catalana Occidente (GCO.MC). Credit insurance, bonding and collections products help protect companies throughout the world from payment risks associated with selling products and services on trade credit. In 2017 the company had revenues of EUR 1,8 billion. The company is rated 'A (excellent) out look stable' by A.M. Best and 'A2 outlook stable' by Moody's
The roots of Atradius can be found in the 2001 acquisition by German insurer Gerling-Konzern Speziale Kreditversicherung (Gerling Credit) of Dutch insurer Nederlandsche Credietverzekering Maatschappij (NCM). The company was then branded as GERLING NCM.
Gerling Credit was established in 1954 as the credit insurance arm of the Gerling-Konzern insurance group of Cologne. In 1962 it opened its first international branch office in Switzerland and was the first private credit insurer to offer export credit protection.
NCM had been founded in 1925 with the goal of improving trade for companies in the Netherlands. From 1932 onwards it also became the arm of the Dutch government through which it provided export credit services to Dutch companies. Atradius still performs this function through its affiliate Atradius Dutch State Business.
Both Gerling Credit and NCM had made their own acquisitions before their combination, including the acquisition by NCM of the short-term arm of the UK government’s Export Credit Guarantee Department (ECGD) in 1991 and private insurers such as Namur Assurances du Crédit S.A., Belgium by Gerling Credit in 1994, both of which have their own histories dating back to the birth of trade credit insurance around 1919.
The now international group was renamed Atradius in 2004. In 2008 the group merged with the Spanish credit insurer Crédito y Caución, founded in 1929, and subsequently gained an additional foothold in the Spanish speaking world.
Although now Spanish owned, the holding company Atradius N.V. and its headquarters remain in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Atradius products and services help manage the payment default risks - the risk that a buyer fails to pay for the products or services it buys on trade credit terms.
These products include:
Grupo Compañía Española de Crédito y Caución, S.L. (Grupo CyC) is a holding company owned 73.84% by Grupo Catalana Occidente. Grupo CyC holds 64.23% of Atradius N.V.
GCO has an economic stake in Atradius N.V. of 83.20%, of which 35.77% is directly owned and 47.43% is owned indirectly through Grupo CyC holding company.
Atradius N.V. is a limited company organised under the laws of the Netherlands with a Management Board and a Supervisory board.
The Management board consists of:
- Isidoro Unda, chairman and chief executive officer. As CEO, he is responsible for the units Strategy and Corporate Development, Human Resources and Facilities, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit and for the credit insurance operations in Spain, Portugal and Brazil.
- Christian van Lint, chief risk officer. As CRO, he is responsible for the units Group Risk Management, Group Buyer Underwriting, Risk Services and Outward Reinsurance.
- Andreas Tesch, chief market officer. As CMO he is responsible for Atradius Credit Insurance worldwide (excluding Spain, Portugal, and Brazil), and for the units Dutch State Business, Global, Special Products, and Group Communication & Commercial Development.
- Claus Gramlich-Eicher, chief financial officer. As CFO he is responsible for Finance, Financial Control, and Corporate Finance.
- Marc Henstridge, chief insurance operations officer. As CIOO he is responsible for the units Bonding, Collections, Atradius Reinsurance, IT Services and Instalment Credit Protection.
The supervisory board has ten members and is responsible for monitoring and guiding the general affairs of Atradius and the policy of the Management Board.
The supervisory board includes:
- Ignacio Álvarez (chairman)
- Francisco Arregui (vice chairman)
- Xavier Freixes
- Désirée van Gorp
- Carlos Halpern
- John Hourican
- Bernd-Hinrich Meyer
- Hugo Serra
- Dick Sluimers
- José María Sunyer
- Best Credit Insurer Europe and North America 2014 awarded by Global Banking & Finance Review
- Oracle "Fusion Middleware Innovation Award" in 2015 for Atradius Insights
- European Business Award for Customer Focus 2015 awarded by the European Business Awards
- Best Credit Insurer and Credit Insurer Provider 2015 awarded by Global Banking & Finance Review
- Best Credit Insurance Provider 2016 awarded by World Commerce Review
- Best Credit Insurance Brand, Europe in 2016 by Global Brands Magazine Award.
- "Grupo Catalana Acquires 7% Stake in Atradius from Swiss Re". Insurance Journal. 2005-09-20. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Annual Report 2017 Atradius N.V." Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- A.M. Best Press Release September 2017 - http://www3.ambest.com/ambv/bestnews/presscontent.aspx?refnum=24918&altsrc=23
- "Moody's upgrades Atradius' IFS rating to A2, outlook stable". Moodys.com. 2018-03-07. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "History of Gerling-Konzern Versicherungs-Beteiligungs-Aktiengesellschaft – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Staten-Generaal, Tweede Kamer der. "Deelnemingenbeleid Rijksoverheid; Brief minister over verwerving aandelen Atradius DSB". zoek.officielebekendmakingen.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2017-01-16.
- Development, United Nations Conference on Trade and (2005-01-01). Information Economy Report 2005. United Nations Publications. ISBN 9789211126792.
- "Atradius and Crédito y Caución Merger Confirmed". Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Quote| Reuters.com". Reuters. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "Organisation structure of business operations| Atradius". group.atradius.com. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Atradius N.V.: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "Bolsa de Madrid - Data of GRUPO CATALANA OCCIDENTE, S.A." www.bolsamadrid.es. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Moodys Credit Opinion July 2017" (PDF). Moody's.
- "ICISA Year book 2016/17 – Atradius company description". Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Oracle Excellence Awards: Oracle Fusion Middleware Innovation Winners | Oracle". www.oracle.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "The European Business Awards". www.businessawardseurope.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "List of Global Banking & Finance Review Award winners for the year 2015". www.globalbankingandfinance.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "ATRADIUS CREDIT INSURANCE NV Best Credit Insurance Provider 2016 Award | World Commerce Review". www.worldcommercereview.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- Global Brands Magazine Award 2016 winners