Atriplex patula (spear saltbush; common orache; spear orach; spreading orach; //) is a ruderal, circumboreal species of annual herbaceous plant in the genus Atriplex naturalized in many temperate regions. Atriplex patula is a member of the family Chenopodiaceae.
Although it is commonly asserted that Atriplex patula has been naturalized in North America only since the eighteenth century, seeds ascribed to this species occur on the west coast of North America in buried marsh deposits that predate European contact.,
Atriplex patula commonly grows along roads and waste sites. It has a wide range, including semi-arid deserts and coastal areas in Asia, North America, Europe, and Africa. It grows to be between 50 and 80 cm tall. The branches extend outwards from the stem with rhomboid leaves and separated clusters of flowers. Atriplex patula accumulates salt from the environment in its tissues. Unlike other Atriplex species, A. patula does not have notable salt bladders to excrete salt onto the leaves.
Atriplex patula has been proven to be effective in lowering salt content in soils when planted in areas with high road salt contamination.
- "orache". Oxford English Dictionary third edition. Oxford University Press. June 2004. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- Sukhorukov, Alexander; Kushunina, Maria; Verloove, Filip (2016-07-14). "Notes on Atriplex, Oxybasis and Dysphania (Chenopodiaceae) in West-Central Tropical Africa". Plant Ecology and Evolution. 149 (2): 249–256. doi:10.5091/plecevo.2016.1181.
- Atriplex patula in Flora of North America
- "USDA PLANTS Profile". Archived from the original on 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- Sherrod BL, 2001. Geological Society of America Bulletin 113, 1299-1311.
- Milker Y, et al., 2016. Quaternary Science Reviews 142, 143-163.
- Prokopiev, I. A.; Filippova, F. V.; Shein, A. A. (March 2012). "Effect of anthropogenic pollution with dust containing heavy metals on seed progeny of spear saltbush". Russian Journal of Plant Physiology. 59 (2): 212–216. doi:10.1134/S1021443712020148. ISSN 1021-4437. S2CID 17780607.
- Mann, Ellen; Rutter, Allison; Zeeb, Barbara (October 2020). "Evaluating the efficacy of Atriplex spp. in the phytoextraction of road salt (NaCl) from contaminated soil". Environmental Pollution. 265 (Pt B): 114963. doi:10.1016/j.envpol.2020.114963. PMID 32806446.