Attila (metalcore band)
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Past members||Matt Booth
Attila is an American metalcore band from Atlanta, Georgia, who were formed in 2005. Frontman Chris Fronzak started the band in high school, not wanting to use typical death metal terms, their name comes from Attila the Hun, a name which he came across in a book. Though their original formation was in 2005, the band did not start touring full-time until around 2010. They have released six full-length albums. Their most successful album About That Life was produced by Joey Sturgis, released on June 25, 2013 and debuted on the Billboard 200 chart at #22. Attila has toured across the United States with bands such as Hed PE, Arsonists Get All the Girls, See You Next Tuesday, Emmure, Chelsea Grin, and Oceano. The band is currently signed to Artery Recordings, a label imprint of the Razor & Tie company.
In 2011, Fronzak was featured in the From The Embrace song "La Flama Blanca", which appeared on the band's "The Grind" EP. In 2012, Fronzak was featured in the In Dying Arms song "Bathed in Salt", which appeared on the band's album Boundaries released in September 2012. He also featured in the song "Love, Sex, Riot" from Issues' debut EP Black Diamonds, which was released on November 13. Fronzak was also featured in the We Are The Blog! song "Shwash" in their EP Decadence. Also Fronzak featured in "Mimic" from Upon A Burning Body's 2012 album Red.White.Green. He also featured in My City, My Secret's song "The Forefront", in their debut EP Dream Being. On October 30, Attila released a new song via iTunes, called "Party with the Devil", along with a re-recorded version of the song "Soda in the Water Cup". In 2013, Fronz was also featured in Sleeping With Sirens song "Best There Ever Was" off their latest album, "Feel."
Formation, early releases and Rage (2005–2011)
Chris Fronzak, Sean Heenan, Sam Halcomb, Matt Booth and Kris Wilson formed Attila in their hometown of Atlanta in 2005, meeting each other at their high school and through mutual friends. Their mutual love of music (and partying) brought the guys together to form what would eventually become the fourth imprint on the Artery Foundation/Razor & Tie joint venture, Artery Recordings.
On October 23, 2006 lead vocalist Chris Fronzak starred on MTV's television show Made where he was made into a model.
Attila released two albums with Statik Factory prior to signing to Artery Recordings; Fallacy and Soundtrack to a Party. Attila has also previously toured with Arsonists Get All The Girls, See You Next Tuesday, Chelsea Grin, American Me, and We Are The End.
Attila signed to Artery Recordings in 2010 and would soon release their debut album with the label. The third album was called Rage in the summer of 2010. The band recorded, produced, mixed, and mastered Rage with Interlace Audio's Stephan Hawkes in Portland, Oregon.
Attila toured with HED PE and Threat Signal from March 3 to April 10. Attila's third album Rage was released on May 11, 2010. Attila released their music video for the album's self-titled track "Rage" on October 8, 2010. On May 13, 2010 the band was announced as support for Drop Dead, Gorgeous' headlinging tour, “The Pyknic pArtery Tour”, along with From First to Last, Sleeping With Sirens, Abandon All Ships, Woe, Is Me, For All Those Sleeping and Scarlett O'Hara beginning on July 17th in Texas and ending in Los Angeles on August 20th.
On August 19, 2010 the band was announced as support for Stick to Your Guns' North American tour with fellow supporting acts As Blood Runs Black, For the Fallen Dreams and Close Your Eyes beginning on October 1st in Arizona and ending on the 31st in California.
On September 28, 2010 the band was announced as support for Oceano's "Contagion Across the Nation Tour" with fellow supporting acts Chelsea Grin, In the Midst of Lions and Monsters beginning on November 5th in Michigan and ending on the 27th in Illinois.
On May 6, 2011 the band was announced as part of the 2011 "All Stars Tour" along with Emmure, Alesana, Iwrestledabearonce, blessthefall, For Today, In This Moment, Born of Osiris, The Ghost Inside, After the Burial, For All Those Sleeping, Memphis May Fire, Motionless in White, Chelsea Grin and Sleeping With Sirens.
On June 25, 2011 the band revealed the tracklisting and release date for their forthcoming album, Outlawed, the band also released the band's first single, "Payback" for streaming.
On August 4, 2011 the band released "Smokeout" from their forthcoming album.
On August 8, 2011 the band was announced as part of the lineup for Alesana and Dance Gavin Dance's "Rock Yourself to Sleep" headlining tour with fellow supporting acts A Skylit Drive, I Set My Friends On Fire and A Loss for Words.
On August 17, 2011 the band released a music video for their single, "Smokeout".
On August 31, 2011 the band was announced as support for the "Monster Energy Outbreak Tour 2012" being headlined by Asking Alexandria, fellow supporting acts As I Lay Dying, Suicide Silence and Memphis May Fire will also be joining them.
On September 18, 2011, the band was announced as support for We Came As Romans' "Take a Picture, It Will Last Longer" beginning on November 22nd and finishing on December 9th with fellow supporting acts Falling in Reverse, Sleeping With Sirens and For All I Am.
On October 17, 2011, Attila released their first music video from the album, "Payback". Attila released a lyric video for their song "Another Round" on July 9, 2012, and another lyric video for the their song "Nasty Mouth" on October 2, 2012. On October 30, 2012, Attila released a new single, "Party with the Devil", and a re-recorded version of the song "Soda in the Water Cup" from the album "Soundtrack to a Party".
On December 12, 2011 the band was announced as part of the lineup for the New England Metal and Hardcore fest 2012 taking place on April 20-22 at The Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts.
On December 22, 2011 the band was announced as part of Chelsea Grin's six week tour, the "Sick Tour", along with fellow supporting acts For the Fallen Dreams, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Vanna, Volumes and The Crimson Armada.
On March 24, 2012 the band's vocalist, Fronz, was denied entry for the second time into Canada because a felony on his record. Fronz released a statement on the incident: "Dear Canada, I am sorry to announce, but I WILL NOT be allowed into Canada for the Toronto and Montreal dates of “The Sick Tour”…. My manager and I worked very hard and payed SHITloads of money in hopes that the Canadian government would let me cross the border. Canada basically called my manager and said “No fucking way”. It pisses me off, but there is nothing I can do. I have a felony on my record and Canada is the ONLY country in the world that I am not allowed in. However, I WILL be reconsidered to cross the border in 2 MORE YEARS! Sorry for making you wait so long, and on behalf of ATTILA, I am truly sorry that we will not be playing any shows in Canada. Sincerely, Fronz".
On June 6, 2012 the band announced that bassist, Chris Comrie parted ways with the band. The band released the following statement regarding Comrie's departure: "Hey guys, we are here to announce that we are parting ways with our bass player Chris Comrie. The decision was a personal choice made by Chris, and we are separating on good terms. We have been close friends with Chris for many years, and we will continue to be close friends with him. We would like to thank him for the past 2 years he has spent with us, and we wish him all the best luck in his future endeavors!".
On September 8, 2012 the band announced that they acquired former For the Fallen Dreams' guitarist Kalan Blehm as their new bassist. The band released the following statement on their inquisitions: "As you guys know, we parted ways with our old bass player (Chris Comrie) a couple of months ago. We would like to announce that our new bass player is Kalan Blehm (former guitarist of For The Fallen Dreams). We have always been great friends with Kalan, and we are very excited to have him as part of the team. We look forward to having another great creative mind on board as we work on the newest ATTILA album!".
On September 13, 2012 the band announced their "Party With the Devil" headlining tour with supporting acts Make Me Famous, Issues, Ice Nine Kills, and Adestria beginning on October 26th in Florida and ending on November 15th in Washington.
About That Life and side projects (2013–2014)
On February 3, 2013, it was announced that the band had finished writing their follow-up to Outlawed and had entered the studio. The band has stated that the album will be the "heaviest" and "craziest" album they have ever made. On February 25, 2013, the band uploaded their own "Harlem Shake" video.
On April 20, 2013, Attila revealed the information about their new album entitled About That Life. The album is set for release on June 25, 2013 and pre-orders were available immediately following the announcement along with the first single from the album, "Middle Fingers Up."
On May 24, 2013, Attila teamed up with Spotify and Revolver and released the title track from the record "About That Life"
On May 28, 2013, Attila revealed the tracklisting from the upcoming album "About That Life".
On June 25, 2013, Attila released the album "About That Life".
On December 11, 2013, it was announced that frontman, Chris Fronzak would be heading into the studio next month to begin recording his forthcoming hip hop album. Later that night on Fuse's Warped Roadies it was announced that Attila would be playing Warped Tour 2014, with fellow announcements Tear Out the Heart, Mayday Parade, The Protomen and Plague Vendor.
On April 1, 2014 frontman Fronz released his first song under the stage name Fronzilla as part of his hip hop side project, entitled "Turn It Up".
On July 16, 2014 frontman Fronz launches imprint label, "Stay Sick Records", created alongside Artery Recordings. Along with the announcement of his imprint label Fronz also announced that his label has signed pop-punk band, "Old Again".
On August 18, 2014 the band was announced to headline the "Monster Outbreak Tour 2014" with supporting acts Crown the Empire, Like Moths to Flames and Sworn In. The tour will be kicking off on November 14th in Fort Lauderdale and ending on December 14th in Massachusetts.
On September 5, 2014 the band were announced as support for Black Veil Brides' UK tour with fellow supporting act Fearless Vampire Killers, beginning on October 3rd in Cardiff, UK and ending on the 17th in Leeds, UK.
On September 15, 2014 bassist Kalan Blehm announced his instrumental side project, "Frozen Forest" and released the song, "Blue Eyes" the third song he's released this month after the release of "Dreamer" and "Work".
Guilty Pleasure and departure of Nate Salameh (2014–present)
On October 6, 2014 the band unveiled their new album, ;;Guilty Pleasure set for a November 24 release. The band also announced a 26 date tour in support of their forthcoming album, "The Guilty Pleasure Tour" kicking off on Lauderdale, Florida on November 11th and ending on December 4th in Boston, Massachusetts. Frontman, Fronz stated that their forthcoming album is the heaviest album they have written.
On October 20, 2014 the band released the first single for their forthcoming album, "Proving Grounds".
On October 22nd, Alternative Press reported that guitarist Nate Salameh had left. When asked about the decision, Salameh said that he wanted to focus on living a drug and alcohol-free life.
On November 8, 2014 the band released the album second single, "Horsepig", with frontman Fronz stating that "This is one of our FAVORITE tracks on the album, and personally one of my favorite songs I’ve ever written lyrically. The song is about how you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it. Your mind can be your best friend but it can also be your worst enemy. The moment you have complete mental control of your life is the moment you become limitless. You just have to stay strong and believe in yourself, because your mind can also be a very dangerous place. The two rap parts in this song are my favorite rap parts that I ever wrote. I hope you like them too!”.
|US Top 200||US Indie||US Hard Rock||US Rock||US Heat|
|2008||Soundtrack to a Party||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013||About That Life||22||5||4||5||—|
- "Attila to return with new album in November". Metal Insider. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce New Album ‘About That Life’ + Release Song ‘Middle Fingers Up’". Loudwire. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Events – The Underworld Camden". theunderworld. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Just Upped the Awful Metalcore Rap Game, Yo". NOISEY. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila - "Rage" CD Review - in Metal Reviews". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Outlawed – Attila CD Review". Apocalyptic Demise. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Bowar, Chad (April 22, 2013). "Attila Announce New Album ‘About That Life’ + Release Song ‘Middle Fingers Up’". Loudwire. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Attila - About That Life Review". Alternative Press. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "Attila Biography". Sing365.com. 2010-05-11. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Blabbermouth.Net - Attila Signs With Artery Recordings". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Attila Sign To Artery Recordings | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "ATTILA: 'About That Life' First-Week Sales Revealed - July 3, 2013". blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "Interview with Fronz of Attila (Video)". Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Drop Dead Gorgeous Headling Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Stick To Your Guns NA Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "OCEANO Announce Tour with CHELSEA GRIN, ATTILA". Metal Injection. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce Release Of New Album, “Outlawed,” Available In-Stores and Online August 16th". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila premiere “Smokeout” - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Motel 6: Rock Yourself To Sleep Tour announces line-up - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila release music video for “Smokeout” - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Monster Energy Outbreak Tour 2012 announced". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "We Came As Romans announce "Take A Picture, It Will Last Longer" tour - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "New England Metal and Hardcore Fest 2012 Lineup - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Chelsea Grin Announce The Sick Tour/New EP - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Frontman Denied Entry Into Canada - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila part ways with bassist Chris Comrie". City Of Punk. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila adds For The Fallen Dreams member to lineup". Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Announce Party With The Devil Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Warped Tour 2013 to include The Chariot, Attila | News". Lambgoat. 2013-01-04. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "City Of Punk". City Of Punk. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Attila Do The ‘Harlem Shake’ | Theprp.com – Metal, Hardcore And Rock News, Reviews And More". Theprp.com. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- "Attila Debut New Song "Middle Fingers Up", Reveal June Release Date For New Album". Theprp.com. 20 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Attila Debut New Song "About That Life",". revolvermag.com. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Attila Announce The About That Life Tour - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Frontman Chris Fronzak To Record New Rap Album Next Month". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila, Tear Out The Heart & More Added To 2014 ‘Vans Warped Tour’". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila, I See Stars, Capture The Crown, Ice Nine Kills & Myka, Relocate U.S. Tour Announced". Theprp.com - Metal And Hardcore News Plus Reviews And More. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "A Day To Remember Announce Self Help Festival - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Fronzilla (Chris Fronzak Of Attila) Premieres Debut Rap Single “Turn It Up” - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila’s Fronzilla Launches Imprint Label, Signs First Band - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Machine Gun Kelly performs "See My Tears" at the APMAs, introduced by Attila - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila To Headline Monster Outbreak Tour, Support And Dates Revealed - Under the Gun Review". Under the Gun Review. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Black Veil Brides announce U.K. tour with Attila, Fearless Vampire Killers". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila bassist releases new solo song for instrumental side project". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila Unveil New ‘Guilty Pleasure’ Album + 2014 Tour Dates". Loudwire. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Attila announce new album, 'Guilty Pleasure' - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- "Outlawed - Attila". AllMusic. 2011-08-16. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- Independent Albums. "Attila Music News & Info". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-08-27.