|Single by Carly Simon|
|from the album Playing Possum|
|B-side||"Are You Ticklish"|
|Genre||Pop, Rock, Disco|
|Carly Simon singles chronology|
"Attitude Dancing" is a song written by Carly Simon and Jacob Brackman, performed by Simon and produced by Richard Perry. The song served as lead single from Simon's fifth studio album, Playing Possum.
The single became a Top 40 hit, peaking at #21 on the Billboard Pop singles chart and #18 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. The single also charted in Australia, peaking at #70 on the ARIA Charts, and was a Top 40 hit in Canada, peaking at #21. The song was the first real disco hit of both herself and of her record label at the time, Elektra Records.
"Attitude Dancing" was included on The Best of Carly Simon, released later in the same year. Simon later included the track on her 2002 career retrospective set, Anthology. Carole King provided backing vocals on the track. Simon was the pianist on the track.
Stephen Holden, writing for Rolling Stone, called the track "the album's showstopper" and went on to say: "Easily the most exciting Carly Simon cut since "You're So Vain," "Attitude Dancing" boasts nifty nonsense lyrics by Jacob Brackman and one of Richard Perry's tour de force productions: strutting horns, razorsharp string lines, perfect backup vocals by various luminaries and Jim Gordon's impeccable, essential drumming. Simon's vocal is genuinely sassy; she even lets herself growl a bit."
- Fred Astaire covered the song on his 1975 album, also titled Attitude Dancing.
- Barry Williams performed the song in the pilot of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.
- 7" single
- "Attitude Dancing" – 3:43
- "Are You Ticklish" – 2:26
|Australia (ARIA Charts)||70|
|Canada (RPM Charts)||21|
|US Billboard Pop Singles (Hot 100)||21|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||18|
- "Carly Simon - Chart history | Billboard". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-05-01.
- David Kent (1993). Australian Charts Book 1970—1992. Australian Chart Book Pty Ltd, Turramurra, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "CAN Charts > Carly Simon". RPM. Retrieved 2015-01-11.
- Holden, Stephen (June 19, 1975). "Playing Possum review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Jazzmusicarchives.com. "Fred Astaire Attitude Dancing". Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Internet Movie Database. "The Brady Bunch Variety Hour "Soundtracks"". Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- Discogs. "Attitude Dancing 7" single". Retrieved 11 January 2015.