Attorney General of Bangladesh
|Attorney General of Bangladesh
|Office of the Attorney General|
|Seat||Bangladesh Supreme Court, Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|Nominator||The Prime Minister|
|Term length||No fixed term|
|Formation||19 February 1765|
|First holder||Sir John Day|
as Advocate-General of Bengal
|Deputy||Additional Attorneys-General, Deputy Attorneys-General and Assistant Attorneys-General|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The Attorney General of Bangladesh (Bengali: মহাব্যবহারদেশক, Mahābyabahāradēśaka) is the Bangladeshi government's chief legal adviser, and its primary lawyer in the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. The Attorney General is usually a highly respected Senior Advocate, and is appointed by the ruling government. The current Attorney General is Mahbubey Alam. The Attorney General is the ex-officio chairman of the Bangladesh Bar Council and accordingly he performs the duties assigned to that post and empowered to participate in any reference to Supreme Court made by the President under article 106 of the Constitution and can express his own opinion.
Unlike the Attorney General of the United States, the Attorney General of Bangladesh does not have any executive authority, and is not a political appointee; those functions are performed by the Minister of Justice. The Attorney General is assisted by the several Additional Attorneys-General, Deputy Attorneys-General, and Assistant Attorneys-General.
List of Attorneys General
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||M. H. Khandaker|
|2||Faqueer Shahabuddin Ahmad||1972||1976|
|Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed||1976|
|Rafique Ul Huq||1990|
|9||K. S. Nabi||1996||1998|
|11||A. F. Hassan Ariff||October 2001||28 April 2005|
|12||A. J. Mohammad Ali||30 April 2005||24 January 2007|
|13||Fida M. Kamal||January 2007||16 July 2008|
|14||Salahuddin Ahmad||13 July 2008||12 January 2009|
|15||Mahbubey Alam||13 January 2009||Incumbent|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-09-26. Retrieved 2016-10-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 6 October 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "15 deputy attorneys general appointed". bdnews24.com. 21 June 2007.
- "Chief Justice Mustafa Kamal". lawjournalbd.com. Archived from the original on 8 October 2017. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "Law officers call on President". The Daily Star. 9 January 1998. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Constitution expert and former attorney general Mahmudul Islam dies at 80". bdnews24.com. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2017.