Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir (born 1958) is an Icelandic professor of art history, a novelist, playwright and poet. She received the Nordic Council Literature Prize for Hotel Silence in 2018 and the Médicis Foreign Award for Miss Iceland in 2019.
Early life and education
Her first novel Upphækkuð jörð (Raised Earth) was published in 1998. It set the stage for her future works in its fine dissection of the smaller things in life.
In 2009, she published Afleggjarinn (The Greenhouse) to mixed reviews. It was described as meticulous and finely crafted, yet lacking a tension both in its language and friction in its emotion. It was also described as a sweetly comic and wry observation of sex, manhood, death and parenthood.
- Upphækkuð jörð (Raised Earth), 1998
- Rigning í nóvember, 2004, in English as Butterflies in November, in German as Ein Schmetterling in November
- Afleggjarinn, 2007, in English as The Greenhouse, also translated into French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian
- Undantekningin (The Exception), 2012
- Ör (Scar), 2016, in English as Hotel Silence, also translated into Portuguese, Swedish (Ärr) and Estonian as Arm.
- Ungfrú Ísland, 2018, in English as Miss Iceland, also translated into French
- Dýralíf, 2020, in English as Animal Life.
- Sálmurinn um glimmer (The Psalm of Glimmer), 2010
- Swans mate for life (National Theatre of Iceland, 2014)
- 2018 - Bókmenntaverðlaun Norðurlandaráðs: Ör
- 2016 - Íslensku bókmenntaverðlaunin: Ör
- 2011 - Prix des libraires du Québec: Rosa Candida (Afleggjarinn í franskri þýðingu Catherine Eyjólfsson). Í flokknum þýðingar (Roman hors Québec)
- 2010 - Prix de Page (Frakkland): Rosa Candida
- 2008 - Menningarverðlaun DV í bókmenntum: Afleggjarinn
- 2008 - Fjöruverðlaunin, bókmenntaverðlaun kvenna: Afleggjarinn
- 2004 - Bókmenntaverðlaun Tómasar Guðmundssonar: Rigning í nóvember
- "Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir - Literature Web". City of literature UNESCO (in Icelandic). 15 April 2014. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- Peras, Delphine (May 5, 2014). "Audur Ava Olafsdottir, Islandaise d'exception". L'Express. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir". Pushkin Press. Archived from the original on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Brandsma, Elliott. "Every Novel Has a Music of Its Own". Stúdentablaðið. University of Iceland. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- Dagsdóttir, Úlfhildur (2011). "Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir". Literature.is. Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Interviews with Icelandic Authors: Auður A. Ólafsdóttir". Icelandic Literature Center. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Berwick, Isabel (December 27, 2013). "Butterflies in November, by Audur Ava Olafsdóttir". The Financial Times. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Schottenius, Maria (March 23, 2015). "Audur Ava Ólafsdóttir: "Rosa Candida"". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Kyzer, Larissa (December 5, 2011). "Three Percent Review: The Greenhouse". Three Percent. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Guerrera, Antonello (July 16, 2013). "Audur Ava Ólafsdóttir - "Il vero segreto? Sconfiggere la crisi con lo humour"". La Repubblica (in Italian). Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- DNB entry for Schmetterling in November
- Worldcat entry for The Greenhouse
- Worldcat entry for Rosa Candida
- Walton-Lange, Lucy (November 7, 2013). "Exclusive interview with Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir". Female First. Retrieved June 28, 2015.