|Intercommunality||Estuaire de la Dives|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||Antoine Grieu|
|Area1||2.62 km2 (1.01 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||14024 / 14640|
|Elevation||5–131 m (16–430 ft)
(avg. 110 m or 360 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aubervillais or Aubervillaises.
Auberville is located on the northern Normandy coast some 8 km east by north-east of Cabourg and 13 km south-west of Deauville. Access to the commune is by road D513 from Houlgate in the west which passes through the village and continues north-east to Villers-sur-Mer. The D163 branches off the D513 in the village and goes south to Branville. Apart from the village there are the hamlets of Les Genets, Les Bruyeres, and Le Manoir. The north of the commune is forested along the coast with slopes down to the beach while the rest of the commune is farmland.
||English channel||English channel||Villers-sur-Mer|
The name was attested in the form Osbertivilla in 1082. It came from the Germanic anthroponym Osbert or alternatively from the Scandinavian Osbern and the old French ville (from the latin villa) in its original sense of "rural domain".
Archaeological excavations have found Merovingian tombs.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 487 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Sites and monuments
- The Church of Sainte-Barbe, from the 13th century with a Bell-gable.
- Falaises des Vaches Noires (the site of Chaos).
- The War memorial at Auberville commemorates the victims of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the First World War, and the Second World War.
- Paul Ernest Dupont (1816-1891), painter, he stayed at Villers and came to paint at Auberville
- Pierre Ucciani (1851-1939), Corsican painter, he stayed at Cabourg and at Villers and came to paint at Auberville
- Julien Turbiau (1876-1934), doctor and amateur painter, he stayed at Villers and came to paint at Auberville
- Marie-Renée Ucciani, (1883-1963), painter and sculptor, she stayed at Villers and came to paint at Auberville
- Claude Lelouch (born in 1937) director, producer, actor, screenwriter, he had a second home at Auberville
- Auberville on Google Maps
- Auberville on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Auberville on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Auberville on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Calvados (French)
- Google Maps
- Albert Dauzat and Charles Rostaing, Etymological Dictionary of place names in France, Larousse, Paris, 1963 (French)
- René Lepelley, Etymological dictionary of names of commuens in Normandy, Éditions Charles Corlet, Condé-sur-Noireau, 1996 ISBN 2905461802, BnF 36174448w, p. 52 (French)
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Pays d'Auge, September/October 2012, 62nd year, No. 5 ISSN 1149-3305 (French)
- Programme of expositions 2014 - Le Villare - Villers-sur-Mer, Paul Ernest Dupont (French)
- Pays d'Auge, March/April 2012, 62nd year, No. 2, ISSN 1149-3305 (French)
- Programme of expositions 2014 - Le Villare - Villers-sur-Mer, Pierre Ucciani (French)
- Programme of expositions 2014 - Le Villare - Villers-sur-Mer, Julien Turbiau (French)
- Programme of expositions 2014 - Le Villare - Villers-sur-Mer, Marie-Renée Ucciani (French)"
- Jean-Pierre Beuve, Summer special: Normandy - Houses of stars, Le Point, No. 1822, 16 August 2007, Read online, consulted on 9 November 2009 (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Auberville.|