The road into Aubigny-en-Laonnois
|Intercommunality||CC Chemin Dames|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Thierry Raverdy|
|Area1||4.41 km2 (1.70 sq mi)|
|• Density||24/km2 (62/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02033 /02820|
|Elevation||92–212 m (302–696 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Albignyacois or Albignyacoises
Aubigny-en-Laonnois is located some 18 km south-east of Laon and 35 km north-west of Rheims. It can be accessed by main highway D1044 which runs along and forms most of the western border of the commune. Access to the village is by the D907 road from Courtrizy-et-Fussigny in the north, changing to the D902 at the commune border and continuing south to the village and south again through the commune to join the D1044. The D90 also runs east from the D1044 forming part of the northern border of the commune and continuing to Saint-Erme-Outre-et-Ramecourt. The D88 also runs west from the D1044 through the south of the commune and continuing to Aizelles. The commune consists of mixed farmland and forests with no other villages or hamlets.
List of Successive Mayors of Aubigny-en-Laonnois
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 116 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
The rolling hills of Aubigny are particularly conducive to the cultivation of strawberries. Strawberries are planted in late summer: August and September. In February, they are mulched and tarpaulined to protect them from spring frosts. Harvest begins in late April or, at the latest, mid-May if it is a very cold year. Strawberries are harvested by hand and placed in 500 g or 250 g trays then sold in the markets of Laon, Saint-Quentin, Charleville-Mézières, and Epernay. In recent years, varieties have multiplied: Gariguette, Ciflorette, Mara des bois, Darselect, and finally the famous forest strawberry (in order of seasonal arrival).
Culture and heritage
The Chateau Park is registered as an historical monument.
- Aubigny-en-Laonnois on the old IGN website (in French)
- Aubigny-en-Laonnois on Lion1906
- Aubigny-en-Laonnois on Google Maps
- Aubigny-en-Laonnois on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Aubigny on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Aubigny-en-Laonnois on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002  Archived 2016-03-06 at the Wayback Machine., the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aubigny-en-Laonnois.|