Auburn Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Auburn Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
The former Free Will Baptist Church of Auburn
Location of Auburn Township in Geauga County
|• Total||30.0 sq mi (77.7 km2)|
|• Land||27.9 sq mi (72.3 km2)|
|• Water||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,234 ft (376 m)|
|• Density||184.9/sq mi (71.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086147|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Newbury Township - north
- Burton Township - northeast corner
- Troy Township - east
- Hiram Township, Portage County - southeast corner
- Mantua Township, Portage County - south
- Aurora - southwest corner
- Bainbridge Township - west
- Russell Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Auburn Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Clayton E. Crafts, Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and lawyer, was born in Auburn Township.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- The Chicago Law Times,' volume II, Catharine V. White editor, C. V. White Company, Chicago, Illinois: 1888, Biographical Sketch of Clayton E. Crafts, pg. 381-383