Auburn University Chapel
Auburn Players Theater
Auburn University Chapel in 2011
|Location||College St. at Thach Ave., Auburn, Alabama|
|Architectural style||Gothic, Other, Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||73000351|
|Added to NRHP||May 22, 1973|
The chapel was built in 1851 as a Presbyterian church in the Greek Revival style. During the Civil War, the building briefly served as a Confederate hospital for wounded soldiers, and later in the century was temporarily divided into classrooms when the main building of the nearby Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College burned in 1887.
Around 1900, the church was renovated in a Gothic style. The building was sold to the college in 1921, where it became the YMCA/YWCA center for a few years. From 1927 to 1973, it housed the Auburn Players Theater, the college's acting troupe. Between 1973 and 1976, the structure underwent a significant renovation for conversion to the Auburn University Chapel, an interdenominational, multipurpose building, a function it still serves today. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Auburn Players Theater on May 22, 1973.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Floyd, W. Warner (March 19, 1973). "Auburn Players Theater" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form. National Park Service. Archived (PDF) from the original on March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014. See also: "Accompanying photos" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Auburn Heritage Association (1994). Auburn University Chapel. Historic Marker. Located 139 South College Street, Auburn, Ala.
- Logue, Mickey & Simms, Jack (1996). Auburn: A Pictorial History of the Loveliest Village, Revised. Auburn, Ala. ISBN 1-885860-08-0
- Windham, Kathryn Tucker (1982). Jeffrey's Latest 13: More Alabama Ghosts. Tuscaloosa, Ala., University of Alabama Press. ISBN 0-8173-0380-4
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Auburn University Chapel.|