Auburndale, known to longtime residents simply as "The Dale", is one of the 13 villages within the city of Newton, Massachusetts. It lies at the western end of Newton near the intersection of interstate highways 90 and 95. It is bisected by the Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90). Auburndale is surrounded by three other Newton villages (West Newton, Waban, and Newton Lower Falls) as well as the city of Waltham and the town of Weston. Auburndale is the home of Williams and Burr elementary schools, as well as Lasell College. Auburndale Square is the location of the Plummer Memorial Library, which is run by the Auburndale Community Library and no longer affiliated with the Newton Free Library, the Turtle Lane Playhouse, and many small businesses.
The first major settler in the area was William Robinson who built a house in 1678 on what is now Freeman Street. The oldest house in Auburndale stands at 473 Auburn Street and was built in 1730 by William Robinson.
Auburndale, once billed as Auburndale-on-the-Charles was the home of Norumbega Park which closed in 1963. The park included rides, a zoo, and boating. The nationally-famous big band venue Totem Pole Ballroom was associated with Norumbega Park and closed in 1964. The area now contains over 60 acres of conservation land as well as access to the Charles River.
Auburndale is also home to Burr and Williams Elementary Schools.
National Register historic sites
See Main Article List of Registered Historic Places in Newton, Massachusetts
Nineteen places in Auburndale are on the National Register of Historic Places, as follows
|Image||Site Name||Street address||Built/Founded/Comments||Date
|Auburndale Congregational Church-United Parish of Auburndale||64 Hancock St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|Clark House||379 Central St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|E. C. Hammond House||35 Groveland St.||?||March 16, 1990|
|Harding House-Walker Missionary Home||161–163 Grove St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 203 Islington Road||203 Islington Rd.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 102 Staniford Street||102 Staniford St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 2212 Commonwealth Avenue||2212 Commonwealth Ave.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 230 Melrose Street||230 Melrose St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 307 Lexington Street||307 Lexington St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|House at 31 Woodbine Street||31 Woodbine St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|Lasell Neighborhood Historic District||Roughly bounded by Woodland and Studio Rds., Aspen and Seminary Aves., and Grove St. Includes Lasell College.||?||October 4, 1986|
|Old Shephard Farm||1832 Washington St., on city rolls as 39 Stanton Avenue||?||October 4, 1986|
|Plummer Memorial Library||375 Auburn St.||?||March 16, 1990|
|Riverside Concrete Company-Lamont's Market||2 Charles St.||?||March 16, 1990|
|Rufus Estabrook House||33 Woodland Rd||?||October 4, 1986|
|The Eminence||122 Islington Rd.||?||October 4, 1986|
|Walker Home for Missionary Children||161-63, 165, 167 Grove St., 136, 138, 144 Hancock St.||?||July 4, 1992|
|Whittemore's Tavern||473 Auburn St.||?||October 4, 1986|
|Winslow-Haskell Mansion||53 Vista Ave.||?||November 25, 1979|
Local Historic District
- Florida Friebus, actress
- James E. Muller: M.D., co-founder of Voice of the Faithful and member of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, which won the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize
- Howard Zinn, historian
- Grace H. Knapp, Christian missionary and teacher
- Louise Imogen Guiney, poetess
- Horatio Edward Parker: composer, dean of Yale Music School
Places of worship
- Corpus Christi and St. Bernard's Parish, 41 Ash Street.
- Episcopal Parish of the Messiah, 1900 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Temple Reyim, 1860 Washington Street.
- United Parish of Auburndale, 64 Hancock Street.
Points of interest
- Auburndale Cove Park & Playground, West Pine Street.
- Norumbega Park Conservation Area.
- Turtle Lane Playhouse, 283 Melrose Street
- Woodland Golf Club
- Brae Burn Country Club
- Charles River Canoe and Kayak Company
- Tom's Pizza
- Historic Auburndale, published by the Auburndale Community Association (1996)
- Norumbega Park. Norumbega Park. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Lasell Neighborhood Association (LNA). Lasellneighborhood.org. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- City of Newton-Planning & Development. Newtonma.gov. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Corpus Christi-St. Bernard Parish – Home. Ccsbparish.org. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Church – Episcopal Parish of the Messiah Newton MA Auburndale an anglocatholic faith community. Parishofthemessiah.org (2011-03-22). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Welcome to Temple Reyim, A Congregation of Friends. Reyim.org. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- United Parish of Auburndale Faith is about learning. Upanewtonma.org. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- City of Newton. Ci.newton.ma.us. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Auburndale Park. Newton Conservators. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Norumbega Park Conservation Area. Newton Conservators (2008-09-14). Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
- Turtle Lane Playhouse. Turtlelane.org. Retrieved on 2011-04-09.
Media related to Auburndale, Massachusetts at Wikimedia Commons