Auckland City Council
Auckland City Council was the local government authority representing Auckland City, New Zealand, from 1871 to 2010, when it was amalgamated into the Auckland Council on 1 November 2010. It was an elected body representing the 404,658 residents (2006 census) of the city (which included some of the Hauraki Gulf islands such as Waiheke Island and Great Barrier Island). It was chaired by the Mayor of Auckland.
In the financial year ending June 2007, Auckland City Council had operating revenue of NZ$552 million, of which 68% came from Council rates, which were NZ$859 per ratepayer on average. It expended NZ$343 million on capital projects, of which 45% went to 'transport' expenses, 19% to 'property and asset management' and 17% to 'open spaces, parks and streetscapes', while 10% were spent on 'stormwater and waste management'. Another 7% were spent on 'arts and culture' and 2% on 'zoo, recreational facilities and community development'. The operating surplus was NZ$40.3 million.
Amongst its other functions, the city council administered more than 700 parks and reserves throughout the country (2008 data). It also had, amongst other things, 2214 km of footpaths, though these were often in bad condition (30% being rated as "poor" or "very poor" quality), a matter often discussed in the media, especially after the 2008 elected council chose to reduce the annual upgrade budget by NZ$39 million to $218 million and reduced the budget for new footpaths from NZ$39.5 million to $5.7 million, as part of their campaign to reduce rates increases.
Auckland City, as part of its landscaping programmes, had planted more than 103,000 trees since 2002, with about 16,000 new trees in 2008, a rate that was estimated at about four times the trimming and removal rate of public and private trees.
- Auckland City Council Annual Report Summary 2006/2007 - leaflet, Auckland City Council, 2007
- The Battle for Auckland City - The New Zealand Herald, Monday 24 September 2007, Page A5
- Auckland City Council Annual Report Summary 2007/2008 - Auckland City Council, 3 October 2008
- Pavement pinchers - The Aucklander, 27 November 2008, Page 3
- 100,000 trees planted - CityScene, Auckland City Council newsletter, 8 March 2009, Page 3
- Auckland City Council (official website)