|Revenue||1.1 billion CHF (2018)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Renaud & Papi SA|
Audemars Piguet SA (French pronunciation: [odmaʁ piɡɛ]) is a Swiss manufacturer of luxury mechanical watches, headquartered in Le Brassus, Switzerland. The company was founded by Jules Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet in the Vallée de Joux in 1875, and has been family-owned since its founding.
Audemars Piguet is a highly regarded watch manufacturer in the world. It is particularly known for introducing the Royal Oak wristwatch in 1972, which helped the brand rise to prominence in watchmaking industry, but it has also introduced several other notable models. One of Audemars Piguet's achievements was creating the first minute repeater wristwatch in 1892. The company also introduced the world's first skeleton watch in 1934 and has produced some of the thinnest watches in the world.
Jules Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet had known each other since their childhood, but were only reconnected in their early twenties in 1874. In 1875, they formed partnership and began their business. The company was started in Le Brassus, a village inside the Vallée de Joux, Switzerland.
Both Audemars and Piguet were previously watchmakers. Audemars created complex watch movements for other manufacturers to use. Piguet specialized in the regulation of watch movements. Once partnered, they split the responsibilities while operating their own company. Audemars was in charge of production and technical aspects while Piguet focused on sales and management.
The second generation of the company leaders included Paul Louis Audemars and Paul Edward Piguet, and the third generation included Jacques Louis Audemars and Paulette Piguet.
In 1970s, Audemars Piguet rose to an important position in watchmaking industry, especially after introducing the Royal Oak model. As of 2018, the current generation (4th) of the company leaders are both from the Audemars family, Jasmine Audemars and Olivier Frank Edward Audemars.  The company is an active member of the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH.
In 1892, Audemars Piguet introduced the word's first minute repeater wristwatch. In 1899, AP manufactured a “Grand Complication” pocket watch with 7 complications, including a grand and small strike, minute repeater, alarm, perpetual calendar, deadbeat seconds, chronograph with jumping seconds, and split-seconds hand.
The company introduced the world's first skeleton watch in 1934 and has produced some of the thinnest watches in the world. The current lineup of models includes the Royal Oak, Royal Oak concept, Royal Oak Offshore, Millenary, Jules Audemars, Haute Joaillerie, and Classique.
The Royal Oak is considered to be the most popular watch that Audemars Piguet currently manufactures. It was first presented at the 1972 Baselworld. Designed by Gérald Genta, who is also responsible for designing other notable timepieces including the Patek Phillipe Nautilus, the Royal Oak model is considered to be the first luxury sports watch in the world. The watch was inspired by traditional diving helmets and therefore featured exposed screw heads as well as a unique case design. The watch also featured an integrated bracelet.
To mark the 20th anniversary of the Royal Oak, Audemars Piguet hired Emmanuel Gueit to design a new watch known as the Royal Oak Offshore. The Offshore was introduced in 1993, with a much larger case (42mm compared to the original 39mm) which was thought to be tougher than the original. The new watch proved to be just as successful as the original.
The Millenary collection first began in 1995. The idea behind the unique design was to give the viewer a three-dimensional take on a standard watch movement. They are characterized by oval cases as well as domed sapphire crystal. The off-centred watch dial is notable with a view of the balance wheel. Audemars Piguet claims that their calibre 4104 is reversed to allow more components to be seen on the dial. All of the Millenary watches share the case and a unique Damaskeening or Côtes de Genève across the movement dial.
Named after one of the founders, the lineup takes cues from more traditional Audemars Piguet designs. Jules Audemars created about 20 very complex movements in 1875. He later used them as collateral when both he and Piguet began their company in 1881. These movements were the beginning of Audemars Piguet. All the watches in the collection are circular. Many notable complications are present including the tourbillon, minute repeater, and perpetual calendar.
Notable patrons and owners
- Novak Djokovic, Serbian tennis player
- Lebron James, American basketball player
- Rory McIlroy, Northern Irish golfer
- Leo Messi, Argentine soccer/football player
- Michael Schumacher, German racing driver
- Serena Williams, American tennis player
- Kim Kardashian, American television personality
- John Mayer, American singer
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hollywood actor and former California governor
- Harry Styles, English singer
- Jay-Z, American rapper
- World Tempus (April 2013). "Audemars Piguet CEO François-Henry Bennahmias, a new master". WorldTempus.
- "Audemars Piguet | Our origins". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Audemars Piguet | Spirit of Independence". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Timeless: Audemars Piguet have a world-leading reputation for their exclusive timepieces". www.luxos.com. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "The History of Audemars Piguet". Crown & Caliber Blog. 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- July 7, Jack Forster; 2017. "Letters To The Editor: Why Isn't Rolex Considered One Of 'The Big Three'?". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- Forster, Jack (2012-08-07). "The Saga of Steel: The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak". Haute Living. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Audemars Piguet brand review | Swiss Divers Watches". Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Audemars Piguet: A Brand History | Editorial | Bucherer". Editorial. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "A History of Audemars Piguet | AP Watches". Govberg Jewelers. 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Audemars Piguet: A Brand History | Editorial | The Watch Gallery". Editorial. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Our brands". Federation of the Swiss watch industry.
- "Audemars Piguet - Swiss Luxury Watches". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- "Audemars Piguet | Unleashing the Beast". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 45th Anniversary | History of the Royal Oak". Govberg Jewelers. 2017-05-31. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "History of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak". Time and Watches. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- Williams, Alex (2016). "How the Royal Oak Watch Became a Cult Classic". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Audemars Piguet | The Royal Oak Offshore Celebrates 25 Years". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "Jules Audemars". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Nole newly appointed Audemars Piguet ambassador". Novak Djokovic. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- Adams, Ariel. "You Can Now Buy The $51,500 LeBron James Limited Edition Watch By Audemars Piguet". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "Rory McIlroy Rocks Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore". Crown & Caliber Blog. 2012-08-14. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- August 15, HODINKEE; 2012. "Hands-On: With The AP Royal Oak Leo Messi Chronograph (Live Pics + Pricing)". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- October 17, HODINKEE; 2012. "Introducing The Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Michael Schumacher Limited Edition". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "Audemars Piguet | Extraordinary Relationships". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- "£40,000 gold watch ripped off man's wrist after hammer attack in Dudley". International Business Times UK. 2016-05-11. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- Mobilio, Cam Wolf,Matteo (2018-10-09). "The Ultra-Fancy Watch That Comes with a Free John Mayer Performance". GQ. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "26378IO.OO.A001KE.01 - Royal Oak Offshore Collection - Audemars Piguet". Audemars Piguet - Le Brassus. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- Winston, Armour. "WHY CHOOSE AUDEMARS PIGUET?". www.armourwinston.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
- August 8, Blake Buettner; 2013. "Spotted: Jay Z Wearing An Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar In Picasso Baby". HODINKEE. Retrieved 2018-12-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audemars Piguet.|