Audi S8 at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show
|Manufacturer||Audi Sport GmbH|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Full-size luxury car (F)|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Layout||Longitudinal F4 layout|
Bentley Flying Spur V8
|Engine||(D2) V8 4.2 L. (Volkswagen Group)|
(D3) V10 5.2 L. (Lamborghini)
(D4/D5) V8 4.0 L. (CTGA)
(D2) First generation
Audi S8 (D2) was produced from 1996 to 2003. The car featured a 4.2 liter V8 with 340 PS (250 kW; 335 hp). The D2 S8 could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 6.2 seconds. It has a curb weight of 1,730 kg (3,814 lb). In 1999, the car was updated with a power increase to 369 PS (271 kW; 364 hp), which brought the 0-60 mph acceleration down to 5.6 seconds. Top speed was electronically limited to 155 mph (250 km/h). It has a curb weight of 1,845 kg (4,068 lb). An Audi S8 (D2) was chosen as the car of the protagonists of the film Ronin.
(D3) Second generation
Audi S8 (D3) was released from 2006 to 2010. The car was equipped with a modified V10 engine shared with the Lamborghini Gallardo of the same years. It produces 450 PS (331 kW; 444 hp), detuned by 50 PS (37 kW; 49 hp) from the Gallardo's power output of 500 PS (368 kW; 493 hp) with the purpose of increasing its fuel efficiency. The top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph (250 km/h). Acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) takes 5.1 seconds. It has a kerb weight of 1,940 kg (4,277 lb).
(D4) Third generation
Audi S8 (D4) (2012–2013, facelift 2013–present) 3,993 V8 TFSI. It produces 520 PS (382 kW; 513 hp). It accelerates from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 3.6 seconds, bests the quarter mile in 11.9 seconds at 118 mph and reaches a top speed of 155 mph (249 km/h). Kerb weight is 2,050–2,065 kg (4,519–4,553 lb).
In 2016, the S8 plus version was launched with an increased engine power of 605 PS (445 kW; 597 hp). Acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) takes 3.3 seconds and with the Dynamic Package it can reach a top speed of 190 mph (306 km/h).
(D5) Fourth generation
The release of the fourth generation S8 is planned to begin in 2019–2020. For the first time, it will be offered in both short- and long-wheelbase versions. In North America, the S8 will only be available in long-wheelbase form (i.e., an S8L), while other markets will offer either version.
- "All information about the generation: Audi S8 D2". www.autobild.de (in German). Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Pulman, Ben. "Audi S8 - Ronin". CAR Magazine. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Johnson, Merritt. "LA 2007: Audi's 5.2L V10 FSI engine on display". Autoblog. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Towler, Adam. "Audi S8 2002-2015 review". www.autocar.co.uk. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Sabatini, Jeff. "2013 Audi S8". Car and Driver. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Marriage, Ollie (12 May 2016). "An unusual weekend in an Audi S8 Plus". Top Gear. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Capparella, Joseph. "2017 Audi S8 Plus". Car and Driver. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Berndt, Katharina; Holdenried, Elias. "Audi S8 D5 (2018): Preis, Erlkönig, Motor & erste Infos". autobild.de. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Tahaney, Ed (2 July 2019). "Audi S8 Arrives with 563 HP and New Tricks". Motor Trend. Retrieved 3 Jul 2019.
- Capparella, Joey. "The 2020 Audi S8 Is Your New 563-HP Executive Sedan Express". CarandDriver.com. Car and Driver. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- Silvestro, Brian. "The 2020 Audi S8 Is 563 HP of Understated Muscle". RoadandTrack.com. Road and Track. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
Audi car timeline, North American market (1980–present)
|Compact car||A3 (8P)||A3 / S3 (8V)|
|4000 (81)||80 / 90 (89)||90 (8C)||A4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)||A4 (8W)|
|4000 CS quattro||S4 (8D/8E/8H/8K)||S4 (8W)|
|Mid-size car||5000 (43)||5000 (44)||100 / 200 (44)||100 (4A)||A6 (4A)||A6 (4B)||A6 (4F)||A6 (4G)||A6 (4K)|
|Ur-S4||Ur-S6||S6 (4B)||S6 (4F)||S6 (4G)||S6 (4K)|
|A7 (4G)||A7 (4K)|
|S7 (4G)||S7 (4K)|
|Full-size car||V8 (4C)||A8 / S8 (4D)||A8 / S8 (4E)||A8 / S8 (4H)||A8|
|Coupé||Coupé (81)||Coupé quattro (8B)||A5 / S5 (8T)||A5 / S5|
|TT Coupé (8N)||TT Coupé (8J)||TT Coupé (8S)|
|Roadster||TT Roadster (8N)||TT Roadster (8J)||TT Roadster (8S)|
|Convertible||Cabriolet (8G)||A4 Cabriolet / S4 Cabriolet (8H)||A5 / S5 (8F)||A5 / S5|
|Sports car||Quattro (Ur-Quattro)||RS6 (4B)||RS4 (8E/8H)|
|R8 (42)||R8 (4S)|
|Crossover||allroad quattro (4Z)||allroad (8K)||A4 allroad (8W)|
|Compact SUV||Q3 (8U)||Q3 (F3)|
|Q5 (8R)||Q5 (FY)|
|Mid-size SUV||Q7 (4L)||Q7 (4M)|