Audit Bureau of Circulations (UK)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||14 October 1931|
|Founder||ISBA (Society of British Advertisers)|
|Focus||Newspaper and magazine circulation|
It was founded on 14 October 1931 by ISBA to provide an independent verification of circulation/data figures to facilitate the buying and selling of advertising space within UK national newspapers.
In 2009 the organisation reviewed how their figures reflected bulk sales, which were often given away for free. The circulation of six national newspapers were adjusted as a consequence. In 2011, ABC's online and print divisions were merged. In February 2014, ABC published combined print and digital magazine circulation figures for the first time.
ABC is governed by a board consisting of advertisers, media agencies, media owners and trade bodies. They represent the differing interests of the media industry, agree new standards and make strategic decisions as to how ABC is run.
ABC UK is a founder member of the International Federation of ABC (IFABC). Richard Foan, Group Executive Director of Communication & Innovation, ABC UK, also chairs the IFABC Web Standards Group, which works to deliver global standards and establish digital good practice across the world.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (North America) of North America
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (India)
- RAJAR, based in Harrow
- Plunkett, John (11 September 2008). "Ex-Unilever exec to head ABC". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Greenslade, Roy (5 March 2009). "ABC inquiry into newspaper 'bulks'". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Luft, Oliver (14 August 2009). "ABC bulks probe: National sales figures revised". Press Gazette. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Durrani, Arif (22 March 2011). "ABC and ABCe unite under the one banner". Campaign. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Sweeney, Mark (13 February 2014). "Gadget magazine T3 is UK's most popular digital title". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 August 2016.