Auditor General of Ontario
The auditor's office was created in 1869. Before 1886, the auditor's office was an adjunct of the Treasury Department. Since the passage of the 1886 Audit Act, the office has evolved (after the 1950 Audit Act) into an independent provincial agency.
With the passage of the 1978 Audit Act, the auditor general no longer submits his or her findings to the provincial cabinet, but to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario (and thereby reports back to the legislature).
The office is located in Toronto, Ontario. The most recent auditors general are chartered accountants by profession, but early appointees did not necessarily have an accounting or audit background.
List of Auditors General of Ontario/Provincial Auditors
- William Cayley 1869-1878 - unofficial provincial auditor; lawyer and Inspector General of Accounts for Upper Canada
- Charles Sproule 1878-1905 - first official provincial auditor; worked as a clerk and bookkeeper in the Audit Branch
- James Clancy 1905-1920
- Gordon Brown 1920-1938 - worked up the ranks of the office as an audit clerk
- Harvey Cotnam BComm, CA 1938-1963 - first auditor with an accounting background
- George Spence BComm, CA, FCA 1963-1973
- William Groom FCA 1973
- Norman Scott FCA 1974-1981
- Douglas Archer FCA 1982-1991
- Jim Otterman, FCA 1992-1993
- Erik Peters CA 1993-2003
- Jim McCarter CA, MBA 2003-2013
- Bonnie Lysyk, MBA, CPA, CA, LPA 2013–present
Auditor General of Land Patents
A separate office created in 1791 to ensure check land granting (or land patents) process in Upper Canada was adhering to the laws by other offices and departments (namely Provincial Secretary/Registrar or the Attorney General). The position was eliminated in 1835 and passed over to the Executive Council Office (later transferred to the Legislative Assembly).
Holders of the office:
- Peter Russell 1791-1808
- William Hallan 1808
- Prideaux Selby 1809-1813
- John McGill 1813-1818
- Stephen Heward 1818-1828
- D'Arcy Boulton 1828-1835
- "Our History". Auditor General of Ontario. 28 June 2011. Archived from the original on 9 January 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- Dutil, Patrice (2011). The Guardian: Perspectives on the Ministry of Finance of Ontario. University of Toronto Press. p. 16. ISBN 9781442642546. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Charles Sproule, Provincial Auditor". Auditor General of Ontario. 28 June 2011. Archived from the original on 4 November 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
|This Ontario-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|