1988/1989 (age 28–29)
Batavia, Ohio USA
|Education||St. Andrews Presbyterian College|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Title||Miss Batavia USA 2012
Miss Ohio USA 2012
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss USA 2012 (2nd runner up)|
Audrey Bolte (born in the late 1980s) is an American beauty pageant titleholder from Batavia, Ohio. She was crowned Miss Ohio USA 2012 and competed in the Miss USA 2012 pageant where she was named second runner-up. She had never competed in a beauty pageant before becoming Miss Batavia 2012 and then Miss Ohio USA.
Audrey Bolte was born in 1988 to her father Bill Bolte and mother Shelly Bolte. She grew up an only child in Batavia, Ohio. She graduated from Batavia High School in 2007, and went on to attend St. Andrews Presbyterian College in North Carolina. She graduated in 2011 with a degree in business administration and a minor in equine science. While at St. Andrews, Bolte competed on the school's equestrian team.
Bolte claims that her mother encouraged her to participate in the Miss Ohio pageant. She had never competed in a beauty pageant before becoming Miss Batavia 2012 and then Miss Ohio USA.
Bolte received international and sustained press coverage for her response to the question "Do you think women are depicted in movies and on television in an accurate and positive way? And please give us an example.” She answered by naming a prostitute as a positive role model--"I think there are some movies that depict women in a very positive role, and then some movies that put them in a little bit more of a negative role. But by the end of the movie, they show that woman-power that I know we all have. Such as the movie Pretty Woman. We had a wonderful, beautiful woman, Julia Roberts, and she was having a rough time, but, you know what? She came out on top and she didn’t let anybody stand in her path."
In a follow-up interview, Bolte maintained that she stood by her answer, claiming that "I feel very confident in the way I answered it. I felt I had 30 seconds on live TV and I felt I answered it the best I could at that moment... For the record, I do not feel that prostitutes are role models. That was not the question. Those words were not ever" out of my mouth."
Murder Trial Testimony
In April 2015, Bolte testified in the trial of Shayna Hubers, who was charged with the murder of Ryan Poston. On October 12, 2012, the night of Poston's murder, he and Bolte were scheduled to go on a date at a bar in Milford, Ohio. Bolte testified that she and Poston were supposed to meet at the bar at 9:30 that night, and that she was looking forward to it, but Poston never showed up. Hubers was ultimately convicted of Poston's murder and sentenced to 40 years in prison.
- "Miss Ohio USA 2012". Miss USA. 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Bednarski, Kristin (May 31, 2012). "Audrey Bolte to compete in Miss USA pageant". The Clermont Sun. Batavia, OH. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- McBride, Carson (May 2012). "Miss Ohio 2012 - Audrey Bolte". The Columbus Magazine. Columbus, OH. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Fitzpatrick, Brad (June 2012). "Beauty Queen: Audrey Bolte". Cincinnati Magazine. Cincinnati, OH: Emmis Communications. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Audrey Bolte second runner-up in Miss USA Pageant". The Highland County Press. Hillsboro, OH. June 4, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Miss Ohio names Julia Roberts hooker in Pretty Woman as 'positive portrayal of women'". Daily Mail. DMG Media. June 4, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Thagard, Grayson (June 5, 2012). "Miss Ohio: 'Pretty Woman' an inspiration?". HLN. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Miss Ohio: 'I'm going to stick with my answer'". Cincinnati, OH: WXIX-TV. June 6, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Audrey Bolte second runner-up in Miss USA Pageant".
- Allen, Wayne (October 17, 2011). "Bolte crowned Miss Ohio USA 2012". Portsmouth Daily Times. Scioto County, OH: Heartland Publications. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Ohio: Audrey Bolte".
- "Multiple SAPC Equestrian teams successful at weekend events". Laurinburg, NC: St. Andrews Presbyterian College. February 21, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Batavia graduate is the new Miss Ohio".
- "Miss USA 2012: Miss Ohio says she was inspired by Julia Roberts hooker character in Pretty Woman - Daily Mail Online". Mail Online. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Miss Ohio Cites Prostitute In 'Pretty Woman' As Positive Portrayal Of Women In Film". mediaite.com. 3 June 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Erica Ritz. "Yikes: Miss Ohio USA Cites Prostitute in 'Pretty Woman' as 'Positive and Accurate' Depiction of Women During Miss USA Pageant". The Blaze. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Top five beauty pageant fails". Stuff. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Miss Ohio: 'I'm going to stick with my answer'".
- "Witness: Hubers 'cackled' she shot boyfriend".
- "Kentucky woman guilty of murder for killing on-again, off-again boyfriend on night he had date with Miss Ohio".