Audrey Niffenegger in 2009
June 13, 1963 |
South Haven, Michigan, United States
Audrey Niffenegger (born June 13, 1963) is an American writer, artist and academic.
She has written a graphic novel, or "novel in pictures" as Niffenegger calls it, called The Three Incestuous Sisters. This book tells the story of three unusual sisters who live in a seaside house. The book has been compared to the work of Edward Gorey.
Another graphic novel, The Adventuress, was released on September 1, 2006.
In March 2009, Niffenegger sold her second novel, a literary ghost story called Her Fearful Symmetry, to Charles Scribner's Sons for an advance of $5 million. The book was released on October 1, 2009 and is set in London's Highgate Cemetery where, during research for the book, Niffenegger acted as a tour guide. Though not as huge a commercial juggernaut as The Time Traveler's Wife, this book got generally more positive critical reviews and cinched Niffenegger's reputation as a leading novelist of ideas and atmosphere.
Art and academia
She is a professor in the Department of Creative Writing at Columbia College Chicago. She is the founding member of T3 or Text 3, an artist and writer's group that also performs and exhibits in Chicago.
Niffenegger is an alumna and board member of the Ragdale Foundation.
She described herself as "somewhere in the spectrum of agnosticism and atheism" and ascribed her disbelief to her Catholic background.
This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (April 2015)
- Ghostly : A Collection of Ghost Stories (Scribner, 2015) ISBN 9781501111198 An anthology selected and illustrated by Audrey Niffenegger. She also wrote the introduction.
- "Jakob Wywialowski and the Angels" (2004)
- "Prudence: The Cautionary Tale of a Picky Eater" in the book Poisonous Plants at Table (2006)
- "The Night Bookmobile | Books". London: The Guardian. July 21, 2008. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- Motoko Rich (March 11, 2009). "Audrey Niffenegger Receives $5 Million Advance for Second Novel". The New York Times. pp. C2. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
Six years after the publication of her blockbuster best-selling novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger has sold a new manuscript for close to $5 million, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations. It is an especially significant sum at a time of retrenchment and economic uncertainty in the publishing world. After a fiercely contested auction, Scribner, a unit of Simon & Schuster, bought the rights to publish the new novel, Her Fearful Symmetry, in the United States this fall.
- Allfree, Claire (October 1, 2009). "Niffenegger goes on a timely journey". Metro. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Niffenegger, Audrey (October 3, 2009). "Audrey Niffenegger on Highgate Cemetery". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Audrey Niffenegger. "Official Website FAQs". Archived from the original on May 7, 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
What are you writing now? I have started to work on a novel called The Chinchilla Girl in Exile. It is about a nine-year-old girl named Lizzie Varo who has hypertrichosis (she is covered with hair) and her desire to go to school (she’s been home-schooled by her clever and amusing Aunt Mariella) and what happens when she does go to school (things get weird).
- Soriano, César G. (October 5, 2009). "Niffenegger finds 'Symmetry' in death for second novel". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Audrey Niffenegger – biography, plus book reviews & excerpts
- Niffenegger, Audrey (August 4, 2008). "31.05.2008: The Night Bookmobile". The Guardian. London.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Audrey Niffenegger|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audrey Niffenegger.|
- Audrey Niffenegger, Her Site, Audrey Niffenegger's website
- Interview with Audrey Niffenegger, December 2008
- Works by or about Audrey Niffenegger in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Printworks Gallery, Art gallery representing Audrey Niffenegger
- Audrey Niffenegger on IMDb
- Interview with Writer Unboxed 3/06 about craft, the process of writing and editing, Time Traveler's Wife, The Three Incestuous Sisters, Her Fearful Symmetry, more.
- Feature-length radio interview on KGNU with Claudia Cragg discussing 'Her Fearful Symmetry'
- Audrey Niffenegger Papers at Newberry Library
- Audrey Niffenegger on Meet The Writers, Monocle 24 talking to Georgina Godwin