Audrey Ann Lederer
January 25, 1960
|Died||October 4, 2018 (aged 58)|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
Wells was born in San Francisco, California, to Austrian-American psychiatrist Wolfgang Lederer and Romanian-American psychologist Alexandra Botwin Lederer; her parents fled World War II-era Europe.
She wrote a number of successful screenplays and directed three for which she had created the script. Her works were primarily comedies and romance films. Among her films are The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) and Under the Tuscan Sun (2003), both of which she also produced. Her 1999 film Guinevere won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the Sundance Film Festival. Wells also co-wrote the script for the comedy The Game Plan.
- The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996), writer/executive producer
- George of the Jungle (1997), co-screenwriter
- Guinevere (1999), writer/director (feature directorial debut)
- Disney's The Kid (2000), writer
- Under the Tuscan Sun (2003), screen story writer/screenwriter/director/producer
- Shall We Dance? (2004), screenwriter
- The Game Plan (2007), co-story writer
- The Fugees (2012), director
- A Dog's Purpose (2017), co-screenwriter
- The Hate U Give (2018), screenwriter (film released posthumously)
- Abominable (2019), Additional screenplay materal with Irena Brigull and William Davies (film released posthumously)
- Over the Moon (2020), writer (film released posthumously) - The film was dedicated to her memory.
- "Audrey A Lederer, Born 01/25/1960 in California". CaliforniaBirthIndex.org. Retrieved October 3, 2020.
- Rebecca Flint Marx. "Audrey Wells". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Archived from the original on April 11, 2013.
- Mervosh, Sarah (October 7, 2018). "Audrey Wells, Screenwriter Behind 'The Hate U Give,' Dies at 58". The New York Times. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- Turan, Kenneth. "Movie Review : A 'Guinevere' to Capture Any Man's Heart". The Los Angeles Times.
- Stedman, Alex (October 5, 2018). "'The Hate U Give' Screenwriter Audrey Wells Dies at 58". Variety. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Mike Barnes (October 5, 2018). "Audrey Wells, Screenwriter on 'Under the Tuscan Sun' and 'The Hate U Give,' Dies at 58". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 14, 2021.