|Operator||Augsburger Flughafen GmbH|
|Hub for||Interot Airways (1986-1996)|
|Elevation AMSL||1,515 ft / 462 m|
Augsburg Airport is a regional airport in Affing, 7 km northeast of the city of Augsburg, the third largest city in the German state of Bavaria. It is used for business and general aviation with very little passenger airline traffic.
In 1986, Interot Airways commenced scheduled flight services at Augsburg Airport, initially to Düsseldorf. By the early 1990s, Interot's route network at Augsburg Airport had grown to also include Berlin, Cologne, Dresden, Hamburg and Leipzig, so that the airport was considered an alternative for business travellers who wished to avoid busy Munich Airport.
Following Interot Airways having become a member of Team Lufthansa in 1996, the airline (which by then had been renamed Augsburg Airways) scaled down its presence at Augsburg Airport in favor of Munich Airport; the last routes were terminated in 2002.
After 2005 passenger traffic was relocated to Munich Airport, leaving the Augsburg region without a passenger airport within close reach. Since then, the airport is used almost entirely for general aviation and business airplanes. Passenger flights resumed in 2016 with a once-per-week flight to Salzburg. Due to the short length of the runway the airport cannot be used by mid-sized aircraft such as the Boeing 737.
Airlines and destinations
operated by S-Air
A ground transport connection by road exists to the nearby six-lane motorway A8 Munich (25min) - Stuttgart (1h) (Exit Augsburg Ost). Alternatively, bus 305 runs every hour from Augsburg main train station.
- „Augsburger Allgemeine“ (German newspaper) on 12. November 2009: Auf dem Flugplatz steht das Univiertel
- "World Airline Directory: Interot Airways". Flight International: 89. 25 March 1992. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "World Airline Directory: Interot Airways". Flight International: 78. 25 March 1995. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Interot flies to London City". Flight International: 8. 15 November 1995. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Directory: world airlines". Flight International: 92. 16 March 2004. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- flughafen-augsburg.de - Augsburg Airport (EDMA)
Media related to Augsburg Airport at Wikimedia Commons