August (2008 film)
US Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Austin Chick|
|Produced by||Josh Hartnett
David Guy Levy
|Written by||Howard A. Rodman|
|Music by||Nathan Larson|
|Edited by||Pete Beaudreau|
|Distributed by||First Look Studios|
August is a 2008 American drama film directed by Austin Chick and presented by 57th & Irving. The screenplay by Howard A. Rodman focuses on two brothers, ambitious dot-com entrepreneurs attempting to keep their company afloat as the stock market begins to collapse in August 2001, one month prior to the 9/11 attacks.
The film premiered as an official selection of the Spectrum section at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
Tom and Joshua Sterling are two brothers, whose Internet start-up, Landshark, is as hot as a New York City summer – only this is the summer of 2001, their company is in lock up, its stock price is plunging and, in a few weeks, the world will change forever.
In the meantime, Tom Sterling is living the hedonistic life of an Internet star; he dates multiple women, drives a 67 Camaro convertible and hangs out at a new club called Bungalow 8. Tom Sterling is a true showman, a demigod in a cult – and culture – of personality.
- Josh Hartnett as Tom Sterling
- Naomie Harris as Sarah
- Adam Scott as Joshua Sterling
- Robin Tunney as Melanie Hanson
- Andre Royo as Dylan Gottschalk
- Emmanuelle Chriqui as Morella Sterling
- Laila Robins as Ottmar Peevo
- Caroline Lagerfelt as Nancy Sterling
- Alan Cox as Burton
- David Bowie as Cyrus Ogilvie
- Rip Torn as David Sterling
|Sundance Film Festival||Spectrum ||January 22, 2008
January 23, 2008
January 24, 2008
January 26, 2008
|Seattle International Film Festival||Contemporary World Cinema ||May 29, 2008
June 2, 2008
|Brooklyn International Film Festival||Narrative Feature Films ||May 31, 2008
June 6, 2008
|Karlovy Vary International Film Festival||Horizons ||July 7, 2008|
|Oldenburg International Film Festival||International Section||September 11, 2008|
|Flanders International Film Festival Ghent||World Cinema||October 10, 2008|
|Bahamas International Film Festival||Spirit Of Freedom: Dramatic ||December 8, 2008|
As of October 13, 2008, the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that 35% of critics rated the film positively based on 23 reviews, with a consensus that "Josh Hartnett puts in a well-intentioned performance but overall, August only superficially explores its dotcom-burst setting." Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 39 out of 100 based on 10 reviews, indicating a generally negative response.
- "August (2008)". Box Office Mojo. July 24, 2008. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- 2008 Online Film Guide Archived January 1, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., Sundance International Film Festival
- The Festival – Films & Events, Seattle International Film Festival
- 2008 Edition – Category Feature / Film Details, Brooklyn Film Festival Film Library
- History – Film Archive, Karlovy Vary International Film Festival
- "Bahamas Festival to close with Spike Lee's Miracle of St Anna". Screen Daily. Jeremy Kay. November 13, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- "August Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on September 12, 2008. Retrieved October 13, 2008.
- "August (2008): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 13, 2008.