August 2016 Aden bombing
|August 2016 Aden car bombing|
Part of the Aden unrest and the|
Yemeni Civil War (2015–present)
Location of Aden Governorate in Yemen.
|Location||Aden, Aden Governorate, Yemen|
|Date||29 August 2016|
|Target||Pro-Hadi army recruits|
|Suicide car bombings|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
On August 29, 2016, morning a powerful car suicide bombing was conducted by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, on an army camp in Aden, Yemen in which 72 people died and 67 wounded. The new military recruits were signing in a local government school, when the explosion took place. According to military sources, the recruitment was being done for new soldiers, for Yemen and Saudi led coalition army, needed for fighting the Huthi rebels, at the northern border with Saudi Arabia. ISIS claimed responsibility and referred to it as martyrdom operation. The bombing was another in a series of recent terrorist attacks, by Islamist militants, including Islamic State, in Yemen, especially on soldiers, public defense workers, and recruits, as a consequence of 18-month-old civil war between the Houthi movement and Hadi's supporters.
On 29 August 2016, recruits at an army training camp had queued in line for breakfast, which was brought into the compound by a truck. The suicide bomber, a suspected member of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, entered the compound behind this truck. He then drove his vehicle into the gathering of people, blowing himself up in a suicide car bomb attack and killing himself. The large explosion collapsed the roof of a building, burying many people while causing damage to nearby buildings. Debris from the bombing was found all over the compound. At least 72 people were killed while at least 67 people were injured.
Editor-in-Chief of Yemen Post Hakim Almasmari called the incident a massacre, while stating that it is the worst terrorist attack that has ever occurred in Aden. Although Al-Qaeda has a large presence in the area, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant were the only ones to claim responsibility for the bombing.
- List of terrorist incidents, 2016
- Yemeni civil war (2015–present)
- 23 May 2016 Yemen bombings
- June 2016 Mukalla attacks
- May 2016 Yemen police bombings
- "'IS suicide bomber' kills 71 army recruits in Yemen - The Manila Times Online". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Suicide Attack Kills Scores of Military Recruits in Aden, Yemen". Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Islamic State attack on army recruits in Yemen kills 54". Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Isis suicide bomb attack kills at least 54 in Yemen". 29 August 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Yemen: Death toll in ISIL's Aden bombing rises to 70". Retrieved 9 October 2016.