|Born||August Werner Schellenberg
July 25, 1936
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Died||August 15, 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
|Cause of death||Lung Cancer|
August Werner Schellenberg (July 25, 1936 – August 15, 2013) was a Canadian-born actor. He was noted for his film work as Chief Powhatan in The New World (2005) and his recurring role of Randolph in the Free Willy series.
Life and career
Schellenberg was born and lived in Montreal, Quebec, until moving to Toronto, Ontario, in 1967. He was of Mohawk and Swiss-German descent. He established himself in Toronto until 1995. He lived in Dallas, Texas, with his wife, actress Joan Karasevich. He was the father of three daughters, two with Karasevich. He was trained at the National Theatre School of Canada.
His initial work was in the Don Shebib-directed coming-of-age film, Rip-Off, in 1971. In 1981, he did voices for the animated film Heavy Metal. During the late 1990s he had major roles in Black Robe (as Chomina), Free Willy and its sequels (as Randolph Johnson), Iron Will (Ned Dodd), True Heart (Khonanesta), and TV film Crazy Horse (Sitting Bull). He went on to star as Chief Powhatan in Terrence Malick's 2005 film The New World. He also had roles in Disney's Eight Below and the doco within a film The Green Chain (2007). In 2011, he appeared in two episodes of the television series Stargate Universe as Yaozu. His favorite role was that of Sitting Bull in the film Crazy Horse, a character he reprised in the film version of the Dee Brown bestseller Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, for which he received an Emmy nomination. He also starred in Dreamkeeper (2003) as Pete Chasing Horse.
In 2012, he performed the title role in an all-aboriginal production of William Shakespeare's King Lear at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, alongside a cast that also included Billy Merasty as Gloucester, Tantoo Cardinal as Regan, Jani Lauzon in a dual role as Cordelia and the Fool, and Craig Lauzon as Kent and Lorne Cardinal as Duke of Albany as well as Assistant Director.
During his lifetime, Schellenberg taught acting seminars at Toronto's Centre for Indigenous Theatre and York University. He conducted motivational workshops in schools and for cultural and community organizations across North America.
- The Coffin Affair - Wilbert Coffin (1980)
- Death Hunt - Deak De Bleargue (1981)
- Kings and Desperate Men - (1981)
- The Return of Ben Casey - TV movie - Dr. Madigan (1988)
- Black Robe - Chomina (1991)
- Lakota Moon - TV Movie - Bull Elk (1992)
- Free Willy - Randolph Johnson (1993)
- Geronimo - TV movie - Cochise (1993)
- Iron Will - Ned Dodd (1994)
- Lakota Woman: Siege at Wounded Knee - TV movie - Dick Wilson (1994)
- Tecumseh: The Last Warrior - Black Hoof (1995)
- Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home - Randolph Johnson (1995)
- Crazy Horse - TV Movie - Sitting Bull (1996)
- The Siege at Ruby Ridge - TV movie - Native American (1996)
- Free Willy 3: The Rescue - Randolph Johnson (1997)
- True Heart - Khonanesta (1997)
- Scattering Dad - Fierce Crow (1998)
- Dreamkeeper - TV Movie - Grandpa (2003)
- Tremors 4: The Legend Begins - Tecopa (2004)
- Going The Distance - TV movie - Emile (2004)
- The New World - Chief Powhatan (2005)
- Eight Below - Mindo (2006)
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - TV Movie - Sitting Bull (2007)
- 45 R.P.M. - TV Movie - Peter George Moses (2008)
- The New Avengers - episode - Forward Base - Bailey (1977)
- The Equalizer - episode - Unpunished Crimes - Brennan (1986)
- Phillip Marlowe - episode - Blackmailers Don't Shoot - Johnny Tango (1986)
- Airwolf - episode - Deathtrain (1987) ... Gregori Nobokov (1987)
- North of 60 (1992-1997) ... Ben Montour (1994-1995)
- The Adventures of Tintin - 13 episodes - Additional Voices (1992)
- Walker Texas Ranger - episodes - Rainbow Warrior, and On Sacred Ground - Billy Gray Wolf (1994-1995)
- Lonesome Dove: The Series - episode - Last Stand - Chief Iron Bow (1994)
- The West - episodes - Speck of the Future, Death Runs Riot, and Fight No More Forever - voice (1996)
- So Weird - episode - Destiny (2000)... Tom Martinez (2000)
- Chiefs - TV Mini-Series documentary - Himself (2002)
- The Making of 'DreamKeeper' - Video documentary short - Himself (2004)
- Making 'The New World' - Video documentary - Himself (2006)
- Saving Grace- 2 episodes - Geepaw- (2007-2010)
- "Biography". Augustschellenberg.com. 1936-07-25. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Native American Actors, Native Net
- "Aboriginal cast in staging of King Lear". Ottawa Citizen, May 12, 2012.
- TMZ: 'Free Willy' Star Dead at 77
- "Mohawk actor August Schellenberg dies at 77 - Arts & Entertainment". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2013-08-16.