Augusta of Denmark
|Augusta of Denmark|
|Duchess consort of Holstein-Gottorp|
|Born||8 April 1580|
|Died||5 February 1639 (aged 58)|
|Spouse||John Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp|
|Father||Frederick II of Denmark|
|Mother||Sophia of Mecklenburg-Güstrow|
Princess Augusta of Denmark (8 April 1580 – 5 February 1639) was the third daughter of King Frederick II of Denmark and Sophia of Mecklenburg-Güstrow, and Duchess of Holstein-Gottorp as the wife of Duke John Adolf. She was politically influential during the reign of her son, Duke Frederick III.
She was married on 30 August 1596 in Copenhagen to her parents' cousin Duke John Adolf of Holstein-Gottorp (1575–1616) and had eight children. The marriage was tense as the spouses disagreed on religious matters. When in 1610 John Adolf fired the Lutheran vicar Jacob Fabricius the Elder, general provost for Holstein and Schleswig ducal share, and replaced him with a Calvinist, Philipp Caesar, as the official vicar of the ducal court in 1614, Augusta refused to attend service and went by foot to the Lutheran church in Schleswig.
As widow, she fired the Calvinist court vicar and reinstated Jacob Fabricius in 1616. She was politically influential during the reign of her son. She governed Husum castle as her dowry and there promoted arts and culture, music and gardening and schools. She supported and recommended the persecuted writer Anna Ovena Hoyer, when she fled from Holstein-Gottorp to the Swedish queen, Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg in 1632. In 1631 she came in conflict with her ruling brother Christian IV of Denmark over the inheritance of their wealthy mother.
Her marriage to John Adolf produced eight children, four boys and four girls. Her last child, a son, did not survive infancy.
- Frederick III of Holstein-Gottorp (22 December 1597 – 10 August 1659).
- Elisabeth Sofie (12 October 1599 – 25 November 1627), married on 5 March 1621 to Duke Augustus of Saxe-Lauenburg.
- Adolf (15 September 1600 – 19 September 1631).
- Dorothea Augusta of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp (12 May 1602 – 13 March 1682), married in 1633 to Joachim Ernest, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön, son of John II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg.
- Hedwig (23 December 1603 – 22 March 1657), married on 15 July 1620 to Augustus, Count Palatine of Sulzbach.
- Anna (19 December 1605 – 20 March 1623).
- John (18 March 1606 – 21 February 1655).
- Christian (born and died 1 December 1609).
|Ancestors of Augusta of Denmark|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Augusta of Denmark.|
- (in Danish) Article in the Dansk biografisk Lexicon
Augusta of DenmarkBorn: 8 April 1580 Died: 5 February 1639
Christine of Hesse
| Duchess Consort of Holstein-Gottorp
Marie Elisabeth of Saxony