Nicolas Auguste Pomel
|Senator of Algeria (Oran)|
30 January 1876 – 7 January 1882
|Succeeded by||Rémy Jacques|
|Born||20 September 1821|
Issoire, Puy-de-Dôme, France
|Died||2 August 1898 (aged 76)|
Draâ El Mizan, Algeria
|Occupation||Mining engineer, Geologist, paleontologist, botanist, politician|
Nicolas Auguste Pomel (20 September 1821 – 2 August 1898) was a French geologist, paleontologist and botanist. He worked as a mines engineer in Algeria and became a specialist in north African vertebrate fossils. He was Senator of Algeria for Oran from 1876 to 1882.
Nicolas-Auguste Pomel was born in Issoire, Puy-de-Dôme, on 20 September 1821. He studied at the Lycée de Clermont and earned his Licence ès sciences. He was conscripted into the army when he was prepared to enter the École des mines. He became a civil engineer after being released. After the coup d'état of 2 December 1851 his Republican beliefs earned him deportation. He became a Garde des mines in Oran in 1866, and was promoted to the 1st class in 1872. From 1876 to 1882 he was member of the Senate (Oran division). In 1882 he was tasked with geological mapping of Algeria. He died in Dra-el-Mizan.
He was the author of nearly 100 publications on North Africa; his works include Sur les Alcyonaires fossiles Miocenes de l'Algerie (1868)  and Des races indigènes de l'Algérie et du rôle que leur reservent leurs aptitudes (1871). Other written efforts by Pomel are:
- Catalogue méthodique et descriptif des vertébrés fossiles, 1853 – Catalog and description of vertebrate fossils.
- Classification méthodique et genera des échinides vivants et fossiles, 1883 – Classification of living and fossil Echinidae.
- Contributions a la classification méthodique des Crucifères, 1883 – Contributions to the methodical classification of Cruciferae.
- Une mission scientifique en Tunisie en 1877, 1884 – A scientific mission to Tunisia in 1877.
- Paléontologie ou description des animaux fossiles de l'Algérie, 1885–87 – Paleontology; a description of animal fossils from Algeria.
- Description stratigraphique générale de l'Algérie, 1889 – General stratigraphic description of Algeria.
- Caméliens et Cervidés, 1893 – Camelids and cervids.
- Les Rhinocéros quaternaire, 1895 – Quaternary rhinoceros.
- Les éléphants quaternaires, 1895 – Quaternary elephants.
- Singe et homme, 1896 – Monkeys and humans.
- Robert & Cougny 1889–1891.
- BHL Taxonomic literature : a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types
- Google Books Entwicklungsgeschichte und Systematik Der Pflanzen, Volume 48
- "Query results for plants authored by "Pomel"". IPNI. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- Natural Science: A Monthly Review of Scientific Progress, Volume 13
- Catalogue of Scientific Papers (1800–1900): ser. 2 , 1864–1873 by Henry White, Herbert McLeod, Henry Forster Morley
- Works by or about Auguste Pomel in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- IPNI. Pomel.
- Robert, Adolphe; Cougny, Gaston (1889–1891), "POMEL (NICOLAS-AUGUSTE))", in Edgar Bourloton (ed.), Dictionnaire des Parlementaires français (1789–1889) (in French), retrieved 2018-04-29