March 31, 1947 |
|Institutions||Pennsylvania State University|
|Alma mater||University of Geneva|
|Doctoral advisor||André Haefliger|
|Doctoral students||Arjuna Chaiyasena
Augustin Banyaga (born March 31, 1947) is a Rwandan-born American mathematician whose research fields include symplectic topology and contact geometry. He is currently a Professor of Mathematics at Pennsylvania State University.
Banyaga earned his Ph.D. degree in 1976 at the University of Geneva under the supervision of André Haefliger. He was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey (1977–1978), Benjamin Peirce Assistant Professor at Harvard University(1978–1982), and assistant professor at Boston University (1982–1984), before joining the faculty at Pennsylvania State University in 1984 as associate professor. He was promoted to full professor in 1992.
He has made significant contributions in symplectic topology, especially on the structure of groups of diffeomorphisms preserving a symplectic form (symplectomorphisms). One of his best-known results states that the group of Hamiltonian diffeomorphisms of a compact, connected, symplectic manifold is a simple group; in particular, it does not admit any non-trivial homomorphism to the real line.
- A. Banyaga, Sur la structure du groupe des difféomorphismes qui préservent une forme symplectique, Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici 53 (1978), no. 2, 174–227. MR0490874
- A. Banyaga, On fixed points of symplectic maps, Inventiones Mathematicae 56 (1980), no. 3, 215–229. MR0561971
- A. Banyaga, On Isomorphic Classical Diffeomorphism Groups. I., Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 98 (1986), no. 1, 113–118. JSTOR 2045779 MR0848887
- A. Banyaga, On Isomorphic Classical Diffeomorphism Groups. II., Journal of Differential Geometry 28 (1988), no. 1, 23–35. MR0950553
- A. Banyaga, A note on Weinstein's conjecture, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 123 ), no. 12, 3901–3906. JSTOR 2048230 MR1021206
- A Banyaga (1997). The Structure of Classical Diffeomorphism Groups. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 0-7923-4475-8.
- A. Banyaga, D. Hurtubise (2004). Lectures on Morse Homology. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 1-4020-2695-1.
- Institute for Advanced Study: A Community of Scholars Archived January 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.