Augustin Matata Ponyo
|Augustin Matata Ponyo|
|Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo|
18 April 2012 – 17 November 2016
|Preceded by||Louis Alphonse Koyagialo (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Samy Badibanga|
|Minister of Finance|
21 February 2010 – 12 April 2012
|Prime Minister||Adolphe Muzito
Louis Alphonse Koyagialo (Acting)
|Preceded by||Atanase Matenda|
|Succeeded by||Henri Yav Mulang|
5 June 1964 |
|Political party||People's Party for Reconstruction and Democracy|
|Alma mater||University of Kinshasa|
Augustin Matata Ponyo Mapon (born 5 June 1964) is a Congolese political figure who was Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo from April 2012 to November 2016. Previously he served as Minister of Finance from February 2010 to April 2012; as Prime Minister, he retained responsibility for the finance portfolio.
On 12 February 2012, while serving as Finance Minister, Ponyo was seriously injured in a plane crash near the town of Bukavu. Other victims of the crash included the ex-President Director General of OGEDEP (Office de Gestion de la Dette Publique) and national deputy for the district of Lukunga Oscar Dimageko Gema (who died two weeks after the crash), the roving ambassador of President Kabila and former Minister of Foreign Affairs Antoine Ghonda (who survived), former Governor of Katanga Province and President Kabila's closest advisor, Augustin Katumba Mwanke (who died during the crash), and the Governor of South Kivu, Marcellin Chishambo (who survived with a minor leg injury). On 14 February 2012 it was reported that he had been flown to South Africa for treatment.
He resigned as Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo on 14 November 2016, as part of a African Union-backed national dialogue framework agreement which specifies an opposition leader takes the position of Prime Minister.
- "Congo-Kinshasa: Gros plan sur Matata Ponyo Mapon". AllAfrica.com. 2011-08-02. Retrieved 2012-02-13. (French)
- CIA World Leaders, Democratic Republic of the Congo Archived 6 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "DR Congo Finance Minister Augustin Ponyo to be new PM". BBC News. 2010-04-19. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Joseph Kabila Reshuffles Government". congonewsagency.com. 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Finance minister wounded in Congo plane crash-govt". Reuters. 2012-02-12. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Congolese minister being treated in South Africa". timeslive.co.za. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Congo president names finance minister to PM job", Associated Press, 19 April 2012.
- "Three dead in protests after DR Congo massacre", Agence France-Presse, 18 August 2016.
- Ismail Akwei, "DR Congo Prime Minister Matata Ponyo resigns", Africanews, 14 November 2016.
|Minister of Finance
Henri Yav Mulang
Louis Alphonse Koyagialo
|Prime Minister of the Congo-Kinshasa
|This article about a politician of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|