|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Annual production volume||1.26 million hectolitres (1,070,000 US bbl) in 2013|
|Owner(s)||Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG|
Augustiner-Bräu is a brewery in Munich, Germany. Established in 1328, it is Munich's oldest independent brewery. The company is owned by the Edith Haberland Wagner Trust 51% and the Inselkammer-Family 49%.
Distribution and marketing
Augustiner beer is normally found within the Greater Munich area, but in the last few years it has become popular outside Munich, for example in Berlin, where it is one of the most successful beers in Mitte, even though the company does not advertise. When most German breweries updated their bottles to a slim and more modern design to give their beer a more classy and less old fashioned appearance, Augustiner stuck with its original "classic" form, often nicknamed the "Bauarbeiterhalbe" (construction worker's half litre). The labels have also not changed in over 20 years. The success of the brand has been attributed to the traditional "retro" image it enjoys as the last major brewery in Munich that is not owned by an international beer conglomerate; Augustiner-Bräu is 51%-owned by a charitable foundation.
Augustiner-Bräu operates a beer tent at the Oktoberfest, as well as owning one of Munich's largest beer gardens, the Augustiner-Keller at Arnulfstraße 52, and several traditional bars throughout the city.
It is imported into United States by Global Village Imports, LLC. of King of Prussia, PA. Since distribution is very limited, only Augustiner Edelstoff and Maximator are available.
- Augustiner's most popular beer is Augustiner Helles (5.2%), a pale lager that is given a prolonged secondary fermentation.
- Edelstoff is a slightly brighter, slightly sweeter, more sparkly, and stronger (5.6%) lager. In America Edelstoff is 5.7% alcohol content
- Augustiner Dunkles, a malty dark beer
- Augustiner Pils, brewed according to the original Pilsner recipe.
- Augustiner Weißbier
- Oktoberfestbier, a style of beer known as Märzen in German, specially brewed for the Oktoberfest. Augustiner′s Oktoberfest beer and Edelstoff are the only beers at the festival that are still served from traditional wooden barrels.
- Maximator, a Doppelbock and, like the Oktoberfestbier, seasonal. Brewed to coincide with Lent, this is a starkbier (strong beer, 7.5%).
- Heller Bock A well lagered pale, seasonal beer (7.2%), only available in May and June in Munich.
- Haefer, Todd (2014-05-07). "Beer Man: German lager Edelstoff is the real deal". The Post-Crescent. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Holt, Laura (2013-08-31). "Travel by numbers: Oktoberfest". The Independent. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Baumstieger, Moritz (2010-06-20). "Augustiner in Berlin: Ein Helles, bitte". tagesspiegel.de. Der Tagesspiegel. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Augustiner-Bräu.|