|Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa|
Aulani Resort in August, 2011
|Hotel chain||Walt Disney Parks and Resorts|
|Address||92-1185 Aliʻinui Drive|
|Opening||August 29, 2011|
|Owner||The Walt Disney Company|
|Number of rooms||
359 hotel rooms|
460 Disney Vacation Club Villas, including 19 Grand Villas
|Number of suites||16|
|Number of restaurants||4|
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa is a beachside hotel, resort and vacation destination offering complimentary children's activities and programs at the Ko Olina Resort & Marina in Kapolei on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Part of the Disney Vacation Club, it is the third Disney Vacation Club Resort located outside a Disney theme park property. The resort opened on August 29, 2011.
Initially announced in October 2007, Disney unveiled the resort's name in January 2010. The project was estimated to cost $800 million and eventually generate about 1,000 jobs at the resort. The project was managed by Disney Vice-President Djuan Rivers.
The resort began timeshare sales on July 15, 2010, and began taking room reservations in August 2010. On August 12, 2011, Disney suspended Aulani timeshare sales indefinitely and fired three executives, including Disney Vacation Club president Jim Lewis, after senior management realized the annual dues had been set too low to cover maintenance costs.
Walt Disney Imagineers collaborated with WATG and Architects Hawaii Ltd. and cultural experts to design and construct what will celebrate the customs and tradition of Hawaii. Disney characters including Mickey and Minnie Mouse are seen at the resort, however, unlike at other theme parks (where they act as hosts), at Aulani they are presented as fellow guests.
- Allison Schaefers (October 6, 2007). "Disney's travel club cannot sell in Hawaii: A resort on Oahu is set, but the firm needs an OK to offer time shares". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Disney Resort Taking Shape on Oahu; Expects to Invest $800 million, Employ 1,000 / October 2009
- "New Disney Hawaii resort gets a name". Pacific Business News. January 19, 2010. Retrieved January 19, 2010.
- "Disney to open reservations a year before resort opening". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. July 2, 2010. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- Jason Garcia (August 15, 2011). "Disney halts sales and fires executives amid financial issues with Hawaiian resort". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Kain, Matthew (2011-10-12). "The Co-Branded Kingdoms". Honolulu Weekly. Honolulu. Archived from the original on 2013-06-01.
- McClintock, John (July 22, 2010). "An Early Peek at Aulani". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved October 29, 2010.