|Full name||Aurélio Fernández Miguel|
|Born||10 March 1964|
Aurélio Fernández Miguel (born March 10, 1964) is a Brazilian judoka and Olympic champion, and later politician. Among his best sporting achievements are his gold medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, and a bronze medal at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.
Aurélio Miguel was born on March 10, 1964 in São Paulo. Due to bronchitis and the insistence of his father, Aurélio Marin, Aurélio Fernández Miguel began training in judo at the age of four years. Initially, Aurélio disliked judo, and as a child, was terrified of the roughness of the competitions and tournaments. As time passed, he became fond of the sport, and eventually won his first title in 1972. Aurélio Miguel then won the Paulista tournament many times, and by the year 1980, he was recognized as the best judoka in the state. Afterwards, Miguel started to compete internationally, winning the silver medal at the 1983 Pan American Games in Caracas, Venezuela. He won the gold medal in the 1987 Pan American Games, again fighting in the under 95 kg category. In 1987 he also won a bronze medal at the World Judo Championships. At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul he became Olympic Champion, winning the -95 kg class by beating Marc Meiling from West Germany in the final. At the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona he placed ninth. He won a silver medal at the 1993 World Judo Championships in Hamilton, losing the final to Hungarian judoka Antal Kovács. At the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta he received a bronze medal, and next year he won a silver medal at the 1997 World Judo Championships in Paris, behind gold winner Pawel Nastula from Poland.
Aurélio successfully ran for the city council of São Paulo in October 2004, representing the Partido Liberal party, being reelected for a second term in 2008 under the banner of the Republic Party.
- "1988 Summer Olympics – Seoul, South Korea – Judo". databaseolympics.com. Archived from the original on 31 May 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- "Aurélio Miguel". SR/Olympic Sports. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Galeria dos Campoes. Aurélio Miguel". www.canalkids.com.br.
- "Biografia". Archived from the original on 2009-05-09.
- "Judo". sports123.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Judo. Pan American Games -95kg". sports123.com. Archived from the original on 18 May 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Judo. World Championships. -95 kg". sports123.com. Archived from the original on 18 May 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Judo at the 1988 Seoul Summer Games: Men's Half-Heavyweight". SR/Olympic Sports. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "Veja quais vereadores "famosos" foram eleitos; assista". Folha Online (in Portuguese). 2008.