Austin Berry (soccer)
|Full name||Gregory Austin Berry|
|Date of birth||October 6, 1988|
|Place of birth||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2010||Chicago Fire Premier||16||(1)|
|2015||→ FC Anyang (loan)||34||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of April 24, 2016.
College and amateur
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, he attended the Summit Country Day School for high school where he played four fall seasons of soccer. With a 14-1-1 record during his senior year, Berry contributed 10 goals, 6 assists, and led his team to the Regional finals. He earned first team all-state, first team Miami Valley Conference, Division III Player of the Year, and was named a Cincinnati Enquirer All-Star. Berry played college soccer at the University of Louisville between 2007 and 2011. During his time at Louisville, Berry was named an NSCAA All-American in 2010 and 2011, Soccer America and College Soccer News All-American honors, Earned Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2010, All-BIG EAST First Team and Big East All Tournament Team in 2010 and 2011. In 2010, he led the University of Louisville to the national championship game and was named to the College Cup All Tournament Team.
The Chicago Fire selected Berry in the first round (No. 9 overall) of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft. Berry made his first MLS appearance against Chivas USA. After conceding a penalty, Berry scored his first MLS goal two minutes later off a throw-in deep in the Chivas box. Berry earned MLS team of the week honors after the Chivas game and was named the Player of the Game in his second match against Real Salt Lake. During the 2012 season, he started 28 games and scored three goals and was MLS Rookie of the Year Award.
Berry started and played 62 consecutive full games for the Fire falling just short of the MLS record. Prior to the 2014 season, Berry was traded to Philadelphia Union in exchange for allocation money. Berry was the opening day starter at centerback for the Union in 2014 but suffered a hamstring injury in the second game. Due to injury, Berry was limited to only 6 games for the Union.
- MLS Rookie of the Year: 2012
- Austin Berry. "Austin Berry Profile - University of Louisville Official Athletic Site". Uoflsports.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "United Soccer Leagues (USL)". Uslsoccer.com. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Chicago Fire of MLS make Summit's Austin Berry No. 9 pick | High School Sports Blog". Cincinnati.com. January 16, 2011. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Fire defender Berry wins 2012 Rookie of the Year award". mlssoccer.com. November 19, 2012.
- Maggard, Cody. "Philadelphia Acquire Austin Berry from Chicago". Fansided.